Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Hampstead Hill School today

(16 Posts)
Ninst Fri 12-Jan-18 23:36:10

I am currently looking for schools to send my son to for Reception year. I wanted to ask if there is anyone who sends their child to Hampstead Hill School or has in the past. I have heard good things about it but am worried it’s a family profit business and that I’ve read from previous posts that it is a bit chaotic. Is this still true? Is it nurturing but still gets the children into good schools at 7? The last posts were from a while ago so just wanted to get a more up to date response.
Many thanks

newmummycwharf1 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:28:08

I have friends with kids currently in the year before reception and they are very pleased. No idea if things change from reception to year 2

Ninst Sat 13-Jan-18 10:51:28

Thanks. I did read that from year 1 onwards it’s not as good as the early years, but don’t know if that’s still true. Reassuring to know that their kids are happy :-)

LuluJakey1 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:58:22

All independent schools are run for profit.

4plus Sat 13-Jan-18 11:31:25

From Y1 onwards it gets more hothouse, with tons of homework etc.
Whether it’s good or bad, depends on the person.
If you want SHHS or UCS then go for HH, they send a lot to these two schools. Also City, though not so many children.

Ninst Sat 13-Jan-18 13:39:20

I would ideally like him to go to UCS but we missed the application deadline so will have to apply at 7+. Would you recommend any other good schools in Hampstead or St. John’s Wood area?

feetonthetable Sat 13-Jan-18 13:48:55

Lulu that is not true - some independent schools run for profit if they are owned by a proprietor. However some are also run by a charitable trust and any surplus made go goes back into the school. The charitable trust schools have criteria such as offering up to 100% bursaries, strong community links with use of facilities, staff etc.

hoping4happiness Sat 13-Jan-18 18:14:58

Hi, other good schools in the area are Lyndhurst, hereward house, abercorn , arnold house, northbridge house, heathside prep, devonshire house, st anthonys. (no idea about waiting list/application dates)!

Ninst Sat 13-Jan-18 21:18:37

Thanks for all your help everyone :-)

Zelbie Sun 14-Jan-18 14:21:02

Also, Mulberry House in Kilburn / West Hampstead (probably slightly easier for you to travel to than HHS). Very, very good school and great 7+ results.

Ninst Sun 14-Jan-18 18:02:21

Thank Zelbie will look into that too

adijagmom Fri 02-Mar-18 10:08:09

Hi All - I am looking at HH too primarily because of the extended hours they offer which works for working parents. Most others end at 330pm and I have no idea how to manage after that ! Does any one know any child minders or after school clubs around that area that do pick up ?
Also any thoughts on a 2 year old going to HH for a full day till 530pm? A lot of people have told me they typically won't last that long in school and will come home realllyyy cranky !

whampsteader Fri 02-Mar-18 10:48:13

adijagmom: Our daughter is at HHS (early years). She’s extremely happy there, and we benefit greatly from extended hours (and no school holidays!). Also means that parents are mostly working couples, which we like. Staying till 5:30 isn’t a problem for our girl, although most children at HHS will be picked up earlier.
For pick up you can ask one of the teachers - I see lots of them take children from/to school.

horsemadmom Fri 02-Mar-18 11:40:19

Those extended hours saved my sanity. Do they still have the blue cots and blankets?

adijagmom Fri 02-Mar-18 14:14:59

@whampsteader - thanks a lot. I know it is a real saviour for working parents and I liked the school so was almost final but then heard a lot of mums tell me I was letting him be there too long so got confused again. When you say the teachers pick up - is it before 530 ? or for after 530 ?

whampsteader Fri 02-Mar-18 14:32:12

I think it depends on when they finish, they just take them with them once they’re done. So between 4 and 5:30 AFAIK

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: