Talk

Advanced search

Reception reading concerns

(8 Posts)
FrayedHem Fri 12-Jan-18 21:00:57

DS3 has ASD. He doesn't get any extra support. No issues with behaviour at school and is very enthuistastic and eager to please. But at home it is non-stop meltdowns. He is struggling with reading. He can identify letter sounds no problem. He can't blend from reading words in front of him. When looking at words in a book he can sound the individual letters out but not blend. (he does muddle "b" and "d"). He will often take one of the middle letters as the starting guess point so if it was "sand" he'd start saying a word beginning with "n". When not reading, he does say letter sounds aloud, then blend them then say the word. if that makes sense! They are often not real words so he hasn't memorised them.

He gets very upset when he is wrong and has huge meltdowns. I'm aware he is young still, but I do feel that there is probably a better way to support him, but I'm at a loss as to how. (I'm not pushing him btw he wants to do the reading but as soon as he gets a word wrong he loses it.)

MrsKCastle Fri 12-Jan-18 21:44:44

I would play lots of games involving oral blending e.g. Touch your t-oe-s, Pat your kn-ee, saying each sound clearly. When reading, you can do some of the work for him e.g. If he sounds out c-a-t, say 'yes, ca-t' and see if he can then supply the word. Lots of repetition, but making it as fun and relaxed as possible. If he finds it stressful to sit and read a book,use magnetic letters or bath foam letters, make up different combinations. They don't have to be real word s, just put a vowel and consonant together and see what it makes. Model it for him by talking out loud 'look, I've got I and p... i-p.... ip! That's not a real word!' He will get there and there will still be a very wide range at this point in reception, so try not to worry too much.

FrayedHem Fri 12-Jan-18 23:30:37

That's really helpful, I'll definitely up the more playful approach as he does respond positively to that. It really is just when he gets the school reading book out that it goes horribly wrong.

Leyani Sat 13-Jan-18 00:00:59

Far to early to put on any pressure. My ds wasn’t keen and super sensitive to criticism so we mainly left reading to school, and did a few games at home as suggested and I always do bedtime stories. It just clicked sometime in the second half of reception, and he caught up very fast then, racing through three book bands in a couple of months.

Leyani Sat 13-Jan-18 00:01:53

...too early, that should say

NinaNoSleep Sat 13-Jan-18 01:51:48

And Alphablocks, watched again and again. Just magic how that shows and practices blending through the blocks joining together.

Taytotots Sat 13-Jan-18 02:26:47

I don't know how you feel about technology buy what about a computer game? Teach your monster to read (usborne) has some great blending games.

FrayedHem Sat 13-Jan-18 15:04:33

Leylani I would never pressure him, he is desperate to be able to read which is why I want to find a way to support him outside of the school reading books which really aren't working for him atm. He is very keen to please his teacher and get stickers etc and so he wants to do the reading every night to get the rewards for that. Hopefully it will click into place for him like it did your DS.

NinaNoSleep. I'd forgotten about Alphablocks, my older 2 loved that. I'll see if I can find some episodes.

Taytotots Tech is great as DS3 loves it. We did try that app before Christmas but unfortunately he got obsessed with getting to the next level and would just keep trying random combinations until he got through, rather than actually learning IYKWIM. I may try it again once he's got a bit more under his belt.

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: