Primary school placement help!

(10 Posts)
marc88 Fri 12-Jan-18 00:32:13


I'm in a bit of a confusing situation so some help would be greatly appreciated. I've only just moved (1 month ago) into my boyfriends parents house which and he has lived there since 1996. I have a 7 year old child thats at present attending a nursery that is close to my old address. Here comes the confusing part. Is it possible to apply for a primary school place at my boyfriends address which I currently reside at?

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 00:45:22

Why is your 7 year old at nursery? confused don't you mean school??

Anyway...if you are living at your boyfriend's parents house full time then you can apply to schools near to that house.

They will however want offical proof that you live there...letters from banks or benefits and council tax which state that this is your full time address.

You won't be able to just say "I've moved" or provide letters from unofficial sources.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 12-Jan-18 00:47:24

Your child is not 7 presumably, was that a typo?

Is your boyfriend's house your permanent and only residence?

You can only really apply from where you actually currently live, regardless of how long you've lived there. If the LA doubt that you really live there or aren't intending to stay there then they might decide to investigate, if they think you've done it to get your child into a school you prefer. But if that's not why you're doing then there won't be an issue.

meditrina Fri 12-Jan-18 00:48:46

Which school year is your DC?

Infants or primary system?

Given thread title, are you in Scotland? Or given what Spam posted, are you outwith UK?

marc88 Fri 12-Jan-18 08:24:51

Thank you all for your replies! Yes my child is attending primary school and the school is located in England.

In regards to the council tax, my boyfriends mother hasn't added me on these documents yet. Apart from the council tax documentation what else can I use as proof of address?

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 08:53:52

Bank statements or utility bills.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 12-Jan-18 09:37:16

So your child is 7 years old, and already attending a primary school near where you used to live? So you want to move her to a school nearer to where you now live with your boyfriend?


marc88 Fri 12-Jan-18 13:19:54

Hi assinatedbeauty,

Yes thats correct.

OP’s posts: |
ApacheEchidna Fri 12-Jan-18 13:35:06

I don't think that this is wise. Obviously living with your boyfriend's parents is only ever going to be temporary. If the relationship lasts in the long term presumably you will get your own place which might not be near the new school. It's not good for children to move schools multiple times so keep your dc at the school they are currently attending until you are more settled.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 12-Jan-18 13:38:59

Moving schools is totally different to applying for a new school place in reception.

The first thing to do is to find out whether any schools near where you live now have any available places in your DD's year group. Then if there are no places, how long the waiting list is. Then make a decision about whether you can wait for the school you want to have room for your DD or whether you would prefer or need to move her to a school that has available places.

For all of this, the LA will assume that your current address is your permanent and only/main residence.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in