Talk

Advanced search

In Year School Admissions for Primary in Trafford

(5 Posts)
wsara2012 Fri 05-Jan-18 16:46:59

We recently moved to Timperley, near Altrincham from New Zealand. In New Zealand when you move to an area of you are in zone they have to enrol you at a moments notice, regardless of how full the class is. I am rapidly discovering it is nowhere near as simple here. I was advised by the admissions lady before Christmas to wait until after New Year to do an application in case anyone moved out of the area during the Christmas period. I’m just wondering how long this process takes? I did the application earlier this week. Also there are two catholic schools which are local - I’m a catholic but my boys 5and 7 years have never been baptised as my husband and I didn’t agree on what religion to christen them in. I think he could be persuaded given our current situation - how likely is it they would get into a catholic school? Would I need to get them baptised first to have any chance?

OP’s posts: |
admission Fri 05-Jan-18 21:19:30

In terms of applying for the two catholic schools, in-year, there is nothing to stop you applying and their lack of baptism will not be an issue. It would certainly be an issue if we were talking about a normal point of entry into the school but in-year if the school is not up to the PAN in the year group they have to admit and if they are up to PAN or above then they will refuse entry on the basis of being full.
In terms of how long the process works, it is not very quick. Most schools will not be back till Monday or Tuesday, so nothing will happen till then.
The other issue for you is that you youngest child will certainly still be deemed to be an infant, so the infant class size regulations, limiting class size to 30, will apply.
If you get a copy of the Trafford LA admission booklet of their website, then you can see which schools are closest to you. You might find it quicker to start phoning the schools directly to see if they have places for both children rather than waiting for the LA to contact the school. You should look at all the local schools so that you maximise your chance of finding a place quickly.

Lifechallenges Sat 06-Jan-18 21:38:14

Trafford LA are very helpful. And yes chat to the schools and ask if they have places. You'll get into a school relatively local but it may not be your nearest one. Phone places like Heyes Lane too

wsara2012 Sat 06-Jan-18 22:23:38

Thanks for your replies - we got a letter this morning and they both got into Heyes Lane - not our closest option but at least it’s in the same villiage 🙂

OP’s posts: |
Lifechallenges Sun 07-Jan-18 00:06:06

Its a great school and I have several friends there so that's great news

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in