Talk

Advanced search

Social media 'intervention group'

(18 Posts)
2ndSopranos Sat 30-Dec-17 10:39:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
RestingGrinchFace Sat 30-Dec-17 10:40:58

Presumably she has been picked because she has her own iPad? That's uncommon enough at that age to warrant an early lesson in online safety.

user789653241 Sat 30-Dec-17 11:41:18

Agree, maybe the reason she was chosen was because she has iPad.
From what I hear from my ds, how they manage online activity at home really differ. Some I really question tbh. School doesn't know how each parent manage it.
I think there is nothing to be worried.
If my ds tells the things he is allowed at home at school , he may raise some concerns. But if I clarify, I don't think it will be an issue.

LML83 Sat 30-Dec-17 11:47:43

I think they pick a mix of children for these things no point if the whole group already hooked on Twitter etc need a balance.

I would think the friendship intervention would also have some children who didn't need help but would be kind and open to new friendships as well as those struggling.

Ask the school but try not to worry in the meantime.

rcat Sat 30-Dec-17 12:52:06

2ndSopranos Sat 30-Dec-17 13:00:14

Love51 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:00:25

She might be a 'role model'. If every kid in the group has unmonitored Instagram and Snapchat then that will be the norm. They need some children who have monitored / restricted access. But a kid with no tablet wouldn't make a good comparison in this situation as presumably it is about sensible usage rather than no usage - they wouldn't need a group for that!

RavenWings Sat 30-Dec-17 13:04:35

Yes, she might be chosen as a role model. I used to do that when I was teaching resource and had social skills groups. Sometimes we would choose children who needed more personal attention from a staff member (self esteem), sometimes it was that they could do with a bit of work on turn taking etc, sometimes it was rewarding good behaviour, sometimes it was simply choosing a good role model.

2ndSopranos Sat 30-Dec-17 13:08:31

RavenWings Sat 30-Dec-17 13:14:01

How do you know that those kids aren't in other groups, or the staff are focusing on something else with them? You concentrate on your child, let the school and their own parents worry about them.

If you're really worried, you can always ring and ask them. That's no harm.

2ndSopranos Sat 30-Dec-17 13:17:10

wonderstar1216 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:34:37

Can't you email? I'm a teacher and on hols but if I got an email I'd reply!

2ndSopranos Sat 30-Dec-17 13:44:51

MidniteScribbler Sat 30-Dec-17 22:48:47

At our school, most of our TA's are also doing their teaching degree. They often have to get a student, or a group of students for a particular focus group as some part of one of their assignments. Students can be selected because of a particular need, because they fit a certain demographic (they usually need at least one student in the group with some form of SEN) or just because they may need some small group attention.

Christmascardqueen Sun 31-Dec-17 08:32:21

Same thought as MidnightScribbler.

Bowerbird5 Sun 31-Dec-17 09:48:56

It might be because she is a sensible girl and they want a balanced view so the kids can discuss use age and they are not all on social media. I wouldn't worry the kids get lots out of these discussions. Perhaps she is also full of ideas, a willing speaker and can see both sides. She may well be being used as a role model. If you email now you should get a response either before the start of term( we go in before the kids) or at least at the start. Lots of children may have received tablets for Christmas and because your daughter has one already I bet it has something to do with it.
I have had some brilliant discussions about being online with our Year 3&4s. It is amazing what they know but also what they don't know. It makes them think especially about safety and the fact that not everyone may be who they say they are. I had a parent come in and thank me because the child had gone home and discussed it and the parent didn't know adults could be online gaming with their child!
As for the other children perhaps your daughter is in the Pilot group and they will get their turn.

MiaowTheCat Sun 31-Dec-17 22:05:43

RavenWings Sun 31-Dec-17 22:22:57

Dd told me which children; they weren't mentioned

Right. So you don't know if the school is doing different work with them, then.

You can absolutely ask the school why your child is in this group, but another child isn't any of your business and they shouldn't be mentioned in relation to all this.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in