Talk

Advanced search

Lack of a Best Friend YR1 - any advice

(4 Posts)
Lymmmummy Thu 14-Dec-17 17:47:03

My DC is v sociable outgoing and confident but just cannot seem to fit in to any particular group - I am not overly bothered but it does seem to concern him

He is. not being bullied it’s more a case of not having a meeting of minds or strong connection with another child. The class has lots of boys say 15 half of which are quite cliquey and don’t bother with the other half seem to have been separated off into pairs as best mates and DS has been left outside

We do do play dates and activities

I am just after any similar experiences or any words of advice I don’t want to make more of it than need be as I think this may matters worse

My main area I asking for advice on is how to help DS realise it’s I’ll nkt to be in an exclusive friendship

Ginmummy1 Fri 15-Dec-17 08:44:19

My DD (now in Y2) has struggled a bit to click with any particular person. Like your son she is sociable and ougoing. She had a best friend who left at the end of Y1, and she has not fully clicked with anyone else.

I think that, in a year group of 30 children, it's entirely possible that some children don't find any natural, close friends. I just try to encourage my daughter to play with lots of different children and always to be kind, so at least she hopefully doesn't have enemies!

There is plenty of time for it to change as the children go through the primary years.

irvineoneohone Fri 15-Dec-17 08:51:54

My ds struggled with forming close friendship with peer group early on in primary.
He became very close to one of the boy around end of yr2, but despite being in the same class for past years, they never played together, until they met at the local park and played together.

Witchend Fri 15-Dec-17 11:24:49

My experience of the boys is that they are less best friend orientated than the girls. Ds has someone he describes as his best friend-and then he has his actual best friend, and then he plays with a whole group that may or not include either of them depending on the game.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: