Talk

Advanced search

‘Community’ values

(3 Posts)
Ellie2015 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:32:10

I am not a Christian but I have heard that in Catholic primary state schools children get taught more ‘community’ values (through various projects) than the non reigious schools. Is this really true??!

I know there are CoE in catholic schools too but what are the chances of one especially non Christian pupil getting admissions into these schools? And would there be much difference whether they choose catholic or CoE?

Sorry if I have asked naive question. Would appreciate your responses. Thank you x

JoJoSM2 Tue 12-Dec-17 16:10:16

Have a look at the admissions policy. Some church schools are heavily oversubscribed so you can’t get in unless you’re a regular church goer, married in church etc. I’m also not so sure about church schools having any superiority in teaching values. You’d get a better sense of individual schools from going to open days, speaking to parents etc

BackforGood Sat 16-Dec-17 22:42:53

I would say that was far too much of a generalisation. It might be that one school does, but I wouldn't say there was a correlation between being a Catholic School and good teaching of community values, no.

Re admissions, as advised above - have a look at their admission policy, but where I live for sure, Church schools tend to be highly sought after, and often don't get past the criteria of 'regularly attending your Church' (not necessarily the Parish Church). In a less crowded population area, there might be a better chance, but you need to ask locally about a particular school really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: