Talk

Advanced search

Wobble cushions for use ON a chair? Does such a thing exist?

(27 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Tue 05-Dec-17 12:11:10

Think it's fairly likely DD2 (4 1/2) is dyspraxic - school agree there's something there and I'm starting to push for referrals with a view to diagnosis (mainly because there'll be a school transition point infant to juniors as well as juniors to secondary here so I'd like the formal diagnosis for consistency's sake there).

One of the things she has is the utter inability to sit still - everything goes in, but she'll have been upside down in carpet time with her arse in the air and leg around her ears but able to tell you the entire story perfectly. Wobble cushion for carpet time has worked wonders in helping with this - but bloody heck is she still a pain on chairs!

Does something exist that's similar for chair use? Thinking more for when she moves further up school but also since I am bloody sick of her falling off flipping dining chairs at home! We have a wobble cushion at home but it's a fairly thick and obviously wobbly thing that wouldn't be the safest balanced on a chair even not factoring Madam Wrigglebottom into the equation.

(There are numerous other factors making us suspect dyspraxia very strongly as at least part of what's the issue with her - before anyone accuses me of oversimplifying things - this is just something that we can try and put in place... preferably before she breaks her neck falling off yet another chair!)

moreismore Tue 05-Dec-17 12:13:28

Guessing a gym ball isn’t an option??

A half inflated travel cushion might do the job.

You can get stools that wobble but the only one I’ve seen has a very very large base and was £££

moreismore Tue 05-Dec-17 12:14:24

If you use a cushion could you maybe sew on some ties to attach to chair and make it safer?

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Tue 05-Dec-17 12:24:25

Have you seen the Movin' Sit Chair. Sorry, I would link it if I was techy! I bought one for my son and it did help him, it's made of rubber so doesn't slip.

MrsLettuce Tue 05-Dec-17 12:25:01

DS uses one of these there are other colour and prices about. This was just the first result that popped up.

MrsLettuce Tue 05-Dec-17 12:26:34

Sorry, meant to say that we never had any issues with it falling off chairs

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 05-Dec-17 12:28:23

yes, you can get wedge cushions through the senco as well as arms for the chairs to stop him falling off. My six year old has dcd, as well as having other sen issues, and these things are being ordered as well as pencil grips and writing slopes and for my son the list goes on and on.

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-Dec-17 12:28:33

Aah bingo! Thought there was something flat bottomed to go on chairs out there!

Thank you... will add that to the list of possible strategies we're working on (at least school are incredibly supportive if we find something that works at home they'll implement it in school happily)

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 05-Dec-17 12:30:07

there's also straps that can go on chair legs for the children to play with with their feet. Also your child may need movement breaks.
Lol, unlike MrsLettuce, my son falls off everything, including his chairs.

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-Dec-17 12:39:03

I've had bump notes from her preschool where they've had to admit they have absolutely no idea how she's fallen over on a flat, empty floor with nothing whatsoever - several times!

She can fall off anything - the difference the floor cushion and a tangle toy make at school (we suggested it as it had shown some success at home - and the school had one out of their SEN cupboard the same day bless 'em) are amazing! At the moment until we get a formal diagnosis though we're still very much trying to just find things that work to improve things so we can pass ideas back and forward between us and school.

Her sister's obsessed with sellotape - there are times I've (JOKINGLY) contemplated letting her at her sibling to try to get her backside to stay put anywhere!

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-Dec-17 12:41:35

She bust the toilet seat earlier this week squirming and wriggling so much she's worked the screws completely out of the screw holes.

So I am getting, for my Christmas present... a bloody new bog seat!

You have to laugh!

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 05-Dec-17 12:41:53

lol, this is me. I fall over everything and my son has inherited that too.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 05-Dec-17 12:42:27

You either laugh or cry.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:35:59

Southpaw do beautiful rocking school chairs. Pricey though.

Zuma

handmademitlove Tue 05-Dec-17 17:38:32

My DD uses a 'movin' sit' wedge wobble cushion both at school and at home. Makes a huge difference!

ASDismynormality Tue 05-Dec-17 17:44:03

My DS also uses the movin sit. Really helps him at school.

Picadillypops Tue 05-Dec-17 17:53:43

Would a partially filled hot water bottle do the trick? We've been recommended these by OT's for preschool aged children and they can work well.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:00:37

The other thing we sometimes do is put the wobble under the feet instead of under the bottom.

When some of my kids are concentrating, their upper body might be perfectly still above the desk, but underneath their legs are paddling away like mad. smile

foot plate

ArchieStar Tue 05-Dec-17 18:08:59

Following this thread with interest, DD(4) is showing almost all signs of dyspraxia. So worried about what will happen come starting pre school in jan and primary in September!

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-Dec-17 18:10:02

If we could harness the fidget energy for power the national grid would be laughing with all these little squirmers!

Norestformrz Tue 05-Dec-17 19:09:34

Here

ArchieStar Wed 06-Dec-17 00:04:05

@MiaowTheCat our energy bill would be amazingly low if we could do that with DD!!

MiaowTheCat Sat 09-Dec-17 12:25:01

Just thought I'd add this one in as the chair foot elastic strips were all either out of stock or stupidly priced... just put a cheap resistance band (the sort you use at the gym) around the legs of the dining chair and she's actually managed to sit and eat some lunch with her legs fidgeting against it quite happily but her not falling off the chair/getting her foot stuck in the chair back/turning around backwards and everything else.

Cost like £2 as well and that was paying over the odds for one that I could get on amazon prime (30cm length one on light resistance - I feared she'd ping herself off into orbit with a stronger one)! Might be a cheap one for other people to try - least it's a cheap and easy one to suggest to the school as well!

TeenTimesTwo Sat 09-Dec-17 13:45:43

In year 2 ish, my DD2 was allowed to do some work standing up - would that be any help?

MiaowTheCat Sat 09-Dec-17 14:18:29

At the moment it's OK because her reception teacher is very very supportive and it's a really good reception class where sitting still is minimal. I'm more laying the groundwork for going into year 1 where the change will kick in - it's going to be a hell of a lot easier for me to get as much in place to help now, that just goes up with an "Oh X gets to use these things as aids" transition, than me trying to push for new things to be added in then when the curriculum becomes more formalised and sitting on a chair for more than 2 seconds without ending up on the floor becomes an issue.

Not that I doubt the Y1 teacher - I get on really well with her... just easier to have stuff in place and working out earlier to move up with her than fighting to put change in place when negative associations have already crept in (and DD2 has a tendency to play for laughs at the best of times which I don't want her turning into dodging doing any learning and being the class clown... unless she can turn it into a fantastic career in comedy or something which I could quite easily see her doing - she's got this incredible sense of comedy timing already... future Miranda Hart?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now