Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Times tables

(6 Posts)
ShovellerDuck Sun 03-Dec-17 19:49:11

My neighbour is frantically busy so I help out a bit. Her ds in Y4 was struggling with homework and I found he doesn’t know any of his tables. Aren’t they taught anymore? How can he do multiplication without knowing them? His mum has no time to help and he wouldn’t cooperate with me.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 03-Dec-17 19:53:00

Yes they are expected to know them (by end y4 now I think?).
Parents are encouraged to practice them at home as it is something parents can actually do.
While doing other homework is probably not the best time to try to teach them.
Some children learn them easily. Some will only learn them with regular repetition. Some with SpLD may find it hard to ever get them properly.

AdultHumanFemale Sun 03-Dec-17 19:58:11

My DD is in Y3 and is using the computer program Nessy Numbers (online subscription £15 year) to learn her tables. Granted, it only teaches them to 10 x 10, but I highly recommend it, as it is the only maths home-learning she is happy to do without getting stressed about it.

irvineoneohone Sun 03-Dec-17 21:03:21

Maths homework was times table almost every week in yr3/yr4 at our school.
If he doesn't know any in yr4, teacher must have flagged it up with parents by now.

Strawberrybubblebath Sun 03-Dec-17 22:13:48

Squeebles app

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Mon 04-Dec-17 19:35:53

We definitely still teach tables! I'm a Y4 TA, and it feels like times tables are my life right now! We're teaching a table per half term at the moment - they should know 10s, 5s, 2s, 3s and 4s coming up from Y3, and then we do 8s, 6s, 7s, 9s, 11s and 12s (in that order). Every child has a target table, and I have to have three pieces of evidence of them knowing their table (2x verbal, and one written piece of evidence) to move them up. There's a small intervention group (bottom set, essentially) maths group who are mostly on 2s and 5s, but the rest of the class are all 3s and above (big knot on 4s, and handful of 8s and 6s, a little cluster on 9s, and two on 11s).

I also run times table interventions with small groups about once a week - they love the times table game show, which pits two teams against each other in three different "games" to test their times table knoweldge. Ours also all have bookmarks with their target table on (they get a new one when they move up, and they get to keep the old one), with a little note to parents on the back asking to help them practice tables out of order, should have quick recall (not counting on their fingers), and also asking to practice related division facts. You can definitely tell when they've been practicing at home. I also have "ask me" stickers which I give them if there's one particular fact they're having trouble remembering, so they walk round all day with "ask me: 6x7=" stuck on their jumpers, and everyone they pass asks them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: