Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a ‘film club’ or ‘movie night’ at your school?

(9 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 01-Dec-17 18:26:26

If so, what kind of licence etc do you get? I’m finding that it’s really expensive, £250?! Surely it’s not a profitable thing to do it it costs that much... I must be missing something. (Or, I hope I am!)

shakemysilliesout Fri 01-Dec-17 20:48:03

I think there way to do it where you charge for the snack not the movie? Not sure

spanieleyes Fri 01-Dec-17 20:54:25

What type of licence do you want ? The DFE provides all state schools and academies with a Motion Picture Licence and Filmbank Licence free of charge

www.gov.uk/guidance/copyright-licences-information-for-schools

Greatballs Fri 01-Dec-17 21:17:40

Yes we do. PTA run film nights. Out local authority bought a license for all it's schools and we're covered by that. Not allowed to charge for the film but make money selling treats.

Greatballs Fri 01-Dec-17 21:21:12

If I recall, those DfE ones only cover films shown in school time, as part of the day, by staff etc. Our school does it's film nights out of hours and with no staff there so we definitely need the separate license, (fortunately already paid for at county level)

WitchOfTheWaste Fri 01-Dec-17 22:16:49

I'm pretty sure we've got around it by charging for the snack box but letting them watch the film for free. And snack box is not compulsory, so in theory they could come for free if they want.

DropZoneOne Fri 01-Dec-17 22:26:02

There's a PTA licence, costs about £70 a year. You can't charge for the film.

We charge for 2 hours childcare every other Friday with a snack and a film included. £5 pef child. Only children at the school may attend. We get 60-70 children (3 form entry) mainly from the younger children.

www.pta.org.uk/For-PTAs/Member-benefits/Our-partner-offers/Motion-Picture-Licensing-Company-MPLC

Hersetta427 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:03:06

Ours is £3 a ticket and includes a drink and popcorn.

Norestformrz Sat 02-Dec-17 17:29:31

https://www.gov.uk/showing-films-in-public

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now