Talk

Advanced search

P3 Edinburgh Schools curriculum

(5 Posts)
Joyblack Fri 24-Nov-17 18:06:05

Please can someone tell me what is being covered in p3 right now. I'm interested in all subjects. We are relocating from Ireland mid-year and I am trying to get a feel for where my son is in comparison to where Scottish students might be. Any advice greatly appreciated :-)

JennyBlueWren Fri 24-Nov-17 19:21:44

This is the entire Curriculum. P3 is part way through "First Level" (Achieved by most by end of P4 but for some sooner and others later).
www.education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf

It can be a bit vague so they brought out benchmarks. These are just being introduced (I don't know if Edinburgh is more or less ahead of the curve).
Literacy and English: education.gov.scot/improvement/Documents/LiteracyEnglishBenchmarks.pdf
Numeracy and Mathematics: education.gov.scot/improvement/Documents/NumeracyandMathematicsBenchmarks.pdf

jocktamsonsbairn Fri 24-Nov-17 20:38:57

It's all very vague unfortunately! That's CFE! Topics vary widely. My dd was taught the Scottish wars of independence 3 times.... I teach p3, in numeracy you should roughly be looking at consolidation of number bonds and speedy recall, knowledge of how numbers are made up (eg 34 could be 34+0, 31+3, 30+4, - then 20 +14 etc, starting to understand multiplication and division(grouping and sharing) and times tables , money to around £2 or £5 and giving change (depends on ability - from 10p to £1 usually but this depends on ability and understanding), basic 2 d and 3 d shape, time to quarter past and 2, moving on to slightly more complex than basic data/info handling, basic coordinates, mapping, grid reference etc (battleship is a good idea here). Literacy I usually focus on moving on from basic punctuation to question and exclamation marks, more advanced might be introduced to paragraphs, def focus on nouns, adjectives, verbs, independent writing andcrevig Orion of different genres of writing/reading material.
I changed schools a few years ago and although in the same town the curriculum for p3 was very different due to deprivation and ability. Scarily so.
Let your dc settle in and I hope it all goes well!

FannyFifer Fri 24-Nov-17 20:53:18

There's a massive variation I think between school, areas etc & ability of child. Curriculum for excellence works with the level of each child.
My dd is in primary 3 & would be on the highest level reading book in the class, although she reads more difficult books at home, but just to give u an idea.
Photo below, if thats any helps.
Topic this term is Scotland.

jocktamsonsbairn Fri 24-Nov-17 21:55:12

Ah we do Scotland in January to tie in with Burns Day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now