Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Which books next

(14 Posts)
Blankscreen Tue 21-Nov-17 12:28:54

DS is just finishing off The Twits having read the rest of the easier Road Dahl books.

I think the next ones are still a bit tricky so trying to find something to move onto.

We tried beast quest but that was also quite hard going at the moment.

He seems.tp.have just got his reading mojo so i don't want to put him off with anything too hard.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

GuestWW Tue 21-Nov-17 13:05:53

Horrid Henry?

suitcaseofdreams Tue 21-Nov-17 14:15:58

Also maybe Mary Pope Osborne's Magic Treehouse series - they are quite an easy read (easier than Beast Quest I'd say) and good/interesting stories - about a brother and sister who go back in time/travel to different places via a magic treehouse

ihearttc Tue 21-Nov-17 16:45:28

DS2 has just read the new Bear Grylls books (the younger ones) and absolutely loved them.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 21-Nov-17 18:22:05

13 storey treehouse etc are not too hard and fairly entertaining

Ricekrispie22 Tue 21-Nov-17 19:46:19

Timmy Failure
Spangles McNasty
The Adventures of Alfie Onion
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Crompton Valance
Shoutykid series by Simon Mayle
Spies in Disguise series by Kate Scott
Harvey Drew books by Cas Lester
Stinky Finger series
Doctor Proctor series
Dirty Bertie series
No. 1 Boys Detective series
Geronimo Stilton series
Ted Rules the World by Frank Cottrell Boyce
Skulduggery by Tony Robinson
Billy Button, Telegram Boy by Sally Nicholls

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 19:49:17

David Walliams - The World’s Worst Children (1&2) are pretty easy going.

KeiraTwiceKnightley Tue 21-Nov-17 21:43:00

Enid Blyton is unfashionable and un pc (and dead dull to an adult mind) but kids this age adore.

The Beano - get it delivered for a few weeks and see how delighted he is on Beano day.

NoSquirrels Tue 21-Nov-17 21:49:34

Horrid Henry
Dirty Bertie

YY to The Beano (& there are books, too, by Stephen Butler)

Jeremy Strong (My Brithers Famous Bottom etc)

Does he like football? Frank Lampard series maybe.

eddiemairswife Tue 21-Nov-17 21:56:37

Why can't you just take him to the library and let him choose for himself? I really can't understand all the queries from parents as to what their children should be reading.

NoSquirrels Tue 21-Nov-17 22:05:50

He seems.tp.have just got his reading mojo so i don't want to put him off with anything too hard.

OP seems quite clear, eddie! It's not what he "should" be reading, its recommendations of what he might "like" reading.

It's hard to choose a book you'll like from the library when you've only just started to read and boring stories, complicated sentences and tricky vocabulary might put you off. None if which is apparent until you start reading properly when you get the book home.

OP just wants to be able to steer her DS in the right direction to have a successful reading experience.

eddiemairswife Tue 21-Nov-17 22:16:28

Yes, but the joy of going to the library is that it doesn't matter if you choose an unsuitable book, you just return it and try something else.
I realise I come from a different era, but parents seem so anxious nowadays.

NoSquirrels Tue 21-Nov-17 22:20:20

it doesn't matter if you choose an unsuitable book, you just return it and try something else.

That is absolutely the joy of libraries, I agree with you- but not if you're the type of child to get put off easily. A few more easy wins of books likely to appeal and then he'll get more confident and be away choosing for himself in no time.

Besides, doesn't everyone like a book recommendation? "Word of mouth" bestseller is the holy grail of publishers!

brilliotic Wed 22-Nov-17 00:21:18

I second the Magic Treehouse series (not to be confused with 13 storey treehouse). There are about 100 of them, on just about every topic you could imagine! But they always come in sets of four that make a mini-series together. So you find a topic your DS is interested in, say, ninjas. Find the ninja Magic Treehouse book which happens to be book 5, or book 1 of the second 4-book-series. Then wait for DS to come begging for the rest of the series smile

Perhaps also Secret Agent Jack Stalwart? Slightly harder, slightly longer, but very popular with my DS when he just started reading for fun.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: