Talk

Advanced search

Moving school in reception year

(12 Posts)
beanbag19 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:32:52

Does anyone have any experience of moving school in reception year?

My DC is due to start school in September 2019 and school applications have to be in by January 2019. We want to move to a different area to be closer to my work but which is also much more expensive. We intend to stay in that area for the foreseeable future. If we were to move in time for school applications we would have to downsize. However, I’m due a significant pay rise in September 2019 which would mean we could afford a nicer house at that point.

My dilemma is whether we move in the next 12 months to a smaller property and get DC in to school in the new area, then moving again after my pay rise, or whether we stay put until my pay rise and move DC to a new school part way through reception year.

I don’t want to put DC through a school move unnecessarily but I also don’t want to incur two lots of moving costs and associated stress either. Will starting a new school part way through reception cause problems?

Apologies for the long post. Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated.

shakemysilliesout Mon 20-Nov-17 14:56:57

Are you sure you will get a midyear place? Is the school you like in new area big/ enough churn to get a place? Could you commute to school 1 whilst you wait for a place at school 2? These are 2 key factors I think. I don't think moving schools is a big issue but see my first 2 questions as to the feasibility. It's easier than buying twice to move schools in my opinion.

grasspigeons Mon 20-Nov-17 16:47:32

moving classes is no problem - if there are spaces
are you renting - if so 2 moves doesn't sound unreasonable. IF you are buying that sounds bonkers.

RedSkyAtNight Mon 20-Nov-17 17:22:16

Moving schools in Reception will cause no problems.
Finding a school you like with places in Reception may well cause problems.

PatriciaHolm Mon 20-Nov-17 17:50:57

The best plan would be to sell up, move and rent in the new area in advance and get a place at the beginning of the year in the new admissions round. Otherwise you face trying to get a place in a full reception year.

prh47bridge Mon 20-Nov-17 19:54:03

Agree with PatriciaHolm. If you delay moving you will be looking for a school that has places available. That is unlikely to be one of your preferred schools. Your child may end up in a school a long way from home that you really don't want. If you move before applications close you will have a much better chance of getting your child into one of your preferred schools.

DaisyRaine90 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:58:53

Best year to move them before they are too settled, they will struggle at a later age

SparklyUnicornPoo Tue 21-Nov-17 00:05:44

How far into reception would you be talking? before Christmas friendship groups are pretty flexible still so would be absolutely fine, past that it would be a little unsettling but still not a massive issue. finding a place you want mid year may be hard though.

Hersetta427 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:43:48

Move and rent somewhere near your preferred school then find somewhere to buy. Leave if till your child is in reception and you will probably have little if any choice about what school then then attend - you will just have to take one that has a place which may be some distance away and unpopular.

Grillpaneddy Tue 21-Nov-17 21:53:35

It'll be fine. We moved abroad in reception year and all was ok. A friend moved schools locally in reception too and again all good. Kids are v fickle at that age.

beanbag19 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:23:15

Thanks for all your thoughts. They’ve certainly helped to clarify a few things. There’s lots of good schools in the new area but also a few not so good ones so, having sat and read through the admissions policy for the LA, I think we would be taking too much of a chance by not applying within the usual timescale.

This has all come to a head now because our fixed rate mortgage deal is shortly due to end and I didn’t want to fix if we were going to move but also didn’t want to pay the extra money on the standard variable rate. Having to make such a big decision is keeping me up at night. Sometimes I don’t think I’m cut out to be an actual grown up!!

Rainbowandraindrops67 Sun 26-Nov-17 19:09:23

In your situation I would rent in the catchment of the new school that you really like and then buy a house there when you can afford it. You will probably need to sell your old house though so as to not fall foul of the application rules

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now