Talk

Advanced search

Year 5 maths

(7 Posts)
gassylady Sun 19-Nov-17 16:26:27

Can anyone recommend some good resources for year 5 maths please. My youngest struggling a bit at the moment - partly because tables not as strong as they could be. All methods seem to have fancy names eg frog, bus stop. If I try to explain the way I was taught “that’s not what miss says” but then can’t remember what miss has saidconfused

Starlight2345 Sun 19-Nov-17 16:31:27

You tube can be your friend here.

Google bust stop method..Assuming it is division.

My DS also learnt his times tables playing games on multiplication.com
there are also a series of songs that practise timetables..google times table rocks.

FairyPenguin Sun 19-Nov-17 16:34:00

For times tables practice, I'd recommend the Squeebles apps. Fun and they get rewards.

For the maths methods, I'd go and ask his teacher for examples of how they do it. Our homework sheets usually have a worked example at the top that show you the method. Our school website also has examples of how they teach maths for each year group.

Elpheba Sun 19-Nov-17 16:34:37

Maybe look at some online tutoring/programmes. They're really fun- my school use Maths Whizz and my previous school used Manga High. I know there's an at home option for maths whizz and our kids love doing it for their homework.

TheMathsTrainee Sun 19-Nov-17 16:40:04

Highly recommend the Squeebles App

Also regular use of mathswhizz.

My dd used both around that age, I believe it really helped with building a secure foundation. They are also great because they can get on with the work/practice independently, at their pace, and mathswhizz teaches the concepts as well.

irvineoneohone Sun 19-Nov-17 18:15:48

My ds's school has maths calculation booklet both in paper version and online version. Best start is there. Ask the teacher.
Also if he is really struggling, it maybe better to ask the teacher for advice first, before starting on workbooks/ online teaching etc., since each school use different methods.
If he needs just securing of times tables, pp's suggestions of apps may work.

Maths wizz looks good, though we don't use it. Manga high, I recommend, free section is limited, but multiplication games are fun and within free section.
Khan academy is totally free and comes with detailed video tutorials.
We use IXL it's a paid site but covers all the curriculum.
School use mathletics and it's great.
mathsframe is very good maths game site.

gassylady Fri 24-Nov-17 21:36:26

Thanks for all the suggestions very helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now