Talk

Advanced search

Ideas to help struggling 6 year old?

(24 Posts)
Longwalkoffashortpier Sat 18-Nov-17 10:28:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SandLand Sat 18-Nov-17 10:44:32

We have worked through several ages of these gold star books the bumper workbooks contain the single english/maths/phonics/ another maths books so don't buy the bumper and individual ones, which my kids have enjoyed. We tend to use them over the summer so as not to regress (13 week summer holidays) so not sure about the teaching aspect, but it certainly covers the stuff mine have done over the year.

I also look on Twinkle.com for some of their free resources.

irvineoneohone Sat 18-Nov-17 10:55:19

I think best idea is speak to the teacher and ask for advice first. She/he may have suggestions for what to do at home to help her.
If you are going to get work books, it maybe a good idea for you to take her to the book shop and let her pick ones she likes. There are so many different kinds of them.
I think persistence is the key. Do little a day, everyday, if possible. It will make a big difference in the long run.

2ndTimeMother Sat 18-Nov-17 10:58:12

My DS is also in Yr1, we have some games from www.orchardtoys.com which my son really enjoys. He prefers learning through play rather than sitting at table doing sums/spellings etc. Does she get homework from the school or reading books? DS gets a different reading book every day so he reads me that every evening before bed & in turn I read him a book. He also gets homework once a week from school which we set time aside every Sunday afternoon to complete. Maybe it's worth asking the teacher for some ideas or extra work you could be doing at home.

bigmangomomma Sat 18-Nov-17 11:06:36

Hi Longwalkoffashortpier,

My Yr1 child was recently struggling with phonics/reading/spelling as well. We downloaded a few free apps on the iPad, and bought a child-friendly stylus pen, and he's now super happy to trace letters/try phonics on the app. It's made a real difference to his confidence; a confidence which has transferred to the classroom.

I wouldn't recommend "workbooks". From personal experience, these don't work as they seem to be exactly what they are: "work".

Make it a game; make it fun. That would be my suggestion.

Longwalkoffashortpier Sat 18-Nov-17 12:50:13

Longwalkoffashortpier Sat 18-Nov-17 12:51:30

KeepSmiling83 Sat 18-Nov-17 13:15:24

I made a game this week with DDs spellings. Copied them out twice and wrote them on pieces of card then we played pairs with them. She had to find a pair and could only keep it if she could spell it (I obviously covered up the words so she couldn’t see them!) If I found a pair then she could steal it from me if she could spell it. She is 6 but is in Y2 and really enjoyed it.

Chilver Sat 18-Nov-17 13:18:39

We use these to help visualise maths and it really helps.
www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Resources-Snap-Cubes-Set/dp/B000G3LR9Y/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_229_bs_img_1?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=mumsnetforum-21&refRID=6CTSSW827WSTYT77ARBF

Also, she loves playing this maths game: www.amazon.co.uk/Orchard-Toys-Magic-Maths-Game/dp/B06XVZY6VG/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&keywords=orchard+toys+magic+maths&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1511011065&sr=1-2

We used flash cards too (bought ones) for common words and turned into games of making up sentences etc

FunderAnna Sat 18-Nov-17 13:26:42

Six is very young and in other countries formal education does not begin at such an early age.

Is there a library near you, where you can go on Saturdays, where you can choose books. If you read them to her, but look at them together that may capture her interest.

Perhaps involve her in simple games like Ludo/Snakes and Ladders/other simple puzzles. And get her involved in household tasks that may involve counting or dividing stuff up.

That might take the stress out of things a little..

irvineoneohone Sat 18-Nov-17 13:28:37

If you spend a lot of times in the car, maybe buy some phonics/ number bonds/ times table/number facts cds?

I also recommend white board and number/letter magnets.

SureIusedtobetaller Sat 18-Nov-17 13:44:33

You could get a Numicon home kit. Great visual and concrete resource.
Read every day using phonic awareness to decode. Ask lots of questions about the story.
You can get flash cards of the sounds from Read Write Inc but possibly better to use whatever scheme the school uses. Little and often is the key with phonics.

catkind Sat 18-Nov-17 16:53:22

In year 1, reading and spelling are both down to phonics. So, phonics and maths.

And it sounds like phonics is more about the digraphs? I think you can get fridge magnet digraphs as well as individual letters if that appeals. I think for DS I just put some on little pieces of cardboard to play around with making words and nonsense words. Has the advantage for split digraphs you can put another piece on top to fill the gap!

The Songbirds books (v cheap from the Book People) were excellent for cementing vowel digraphs, there's 1 book concentrating on each sound. Worth investing in if you don't already get these from school.

My kids liked Alphablocks which is quite visual; there's also the Teach Your Monster to Read game, starts at single letters but goes right through to alternative vowel spellings in TYMtR3. Probably more TYM for year 1, it goes further. Free on the PC.

Maths I think is all about the visuals at this stage. Anything you can count really! Lego bricks are quite good actually.
Get a dozen eggbox and chop two off the end and you have a handy 10-frame, so you can practice number bonds to 10 by e.g. putting marbles in some holes and not in others. You don't need anything purpose made, though we did have fun with cuisenaire rods and hundreds/tens/units blocks (dienes blocks).

DeathMetalMum Sat 18-Nov-17 17:09:11

I'd possibly try not to worry too much. Read to her and enjoy playing games that use basic maths skills, snakes and ladders, Orchard toy's lots of others. We had a good game home from school for maths skills 9 squares with instructions on, such as 'count on to 50 or 100' 'add on 10' 'take away 10' 'count on in 5's' and you have to pick any number before hand if you complete the task you get the card. Dd found this really fun.

I'd say again try not to worry, Dd1 wasn't a brilliant reader at the beginning of year one and half way through something just clicked and she suddenly was able to blend most words with ease.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 18-Nov-17 17:27:19

When is her birthday? Is she actually behind 'age related expectations' or just Summer born?

Does she like to play with a computer/ tablet? If so I would do Teach Your Monster To Read together. It's free and it will teach you the 'clean' way to say each sound as well as her so you can help her more effectively when she is attempting to decode.

My DS loved notecards in Y1- I bought him a bumper pack of pretty ones and it really encouraged him to write.

You could get Numicon First Steps if her sense of number is weak. Or a game like Plyt and play regularly (you can adapt it to lots of different maths). Alternatively perhaps look at a Maths Whizz subscription and do a session together several times a week. It doesn't replace adult help, but might help you to help her.

Also- and I don't want to sound like a crackpot- but look at whether she is getting everything she needs from her diet. I feel like there is a noticeable difference in my DS since we started on Omega3 + PS100.

Longwalkoffashortpier Sat 18-Nov-17 21:22:54

Longwalkoffashortpier Sat 18-Nov-17 21:25:39

AdultHumanFemale Sat 18-Nov-17 21:27:33

DD1 (7) gets a Nessy subscription free from school as she has really struggled with reading and writing. It is a program designed for students with dyslexia, but is very effective even if dyslexia isn't suspected. Through a series of games it assesses the player's level of phonic knowledge, and then creates a pathway through stages of phonics learning through games, neat little animations and tutorials. It has been amazing for her, and I have also used it with pupils at my own school. If it hadn't been paid for by her school, I would have paid for a year's subscription myself. Because the increments / lessons are so bite-sized and progress is so clearly seen and celebrated, DD is happy to sit down for 15 mins most afternoons after school and work through a 'lesson'. It has helped her with reading, both decoding and word-recognition, as well as sentence structure and spelling. Best of all is the confidence it has given her, as she had lost all faith in her ability to read or write this time last year.

catkind Sat 18-Nov-17 23:25:07

I volunteer with readers in year 1. Lots of them do guess. (Which is partly down to bad advice issued by Reception staff at our school.) Lots of patience and "Uh-uh, no guessing allowed. What's the first sound?... Great, and the next sound?... OK, now can you blend the word together?" Sometimes it helps to write out the word on a piece of paper and put sound buttons under it - dot under each single letter sound, line under digraphs or trigraphs.

OldWitch00 Sun 19-Nov-17 03:30:12

what is it about the home life that is chaotic and distracting her, it might be best to deal with this first.
besides books and work brought home from school I would cook...reading recipes, doing math with cutting the recipe in half or portioning out as per the family size. enrich with walks and discussing time and the clock. If the family listens to the news discuss countries the map and the globe.
my view would be to work on the home stuff and support the teachers not necessarily you becoming the teacher.

Makesmilingyourbesthobby Sun 19-Nov-17 03:51:19

Argos have a lovely little range of flash cards ATM in they 2 for £15 for Maths & English I've got them for one of my dd's for Xmas & they look great to me,
I try to make up different games for my girls that will help them learn different subjects as I've found the more fun itis for them the more they engage, learn & want to learn, a lot of praise when they get something correct or archive something does wonders too & try & mix it up everyday so reading one day, maths the next then phonics the day after & keep it to a short timeframe 15 minutes weekdays, half hour weekend days sounds about right to me for a 6 year old.

Norestformrz Sun 19-Nov-17 06:03:29

I agree with oldWitch you need to get to the root cause of her distraction.

irvineoneohone Sun 19-Nov-17 07:49:39

I agree with mrz. Sort out her everyday life first, and don't worry too much, she only started yr1. There are plenty of time to catch up.
Just make sure to do regular work to get her understand the basics.
I would strongly suggest that you speak to the teacher to find out what you can do/ what area she needs to work on and get advice, then come back on MN and ask specific questions to help certain areas. It's quite vague at the moment, where she is behind.

GruffaloPants Sun 19-Nov-17 09:56:54

I think focus on getting home life as settled as possible.
Then a few games you can play while out and about e.g. Who can spot 3 things that begin with "th".
Ask for a meeting with her teacher to make a plan together.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: