Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried?

(5 Posts)
peppaminttea Sat 11-Nov-17 20:42:51

DD, year 5, is very bright generally.

She has just had her CAT test scores back and I wonder whether I should be concerned.

She scored Verbal 137, Quantitative 118, Non verbal 112 and Spatial 100. This puts her in the extreme verbal bias category. (Apparently only 2% of people have a profile like this).

She says that she finished all but one of the tests. The one she didn't finish sounds like a quantitative one.

Have had issues with her getting bored in maths lessons this year. She says teacher is making her do lots of easy work so she never gets to do any hard work. Teacher says there is hard work available but she never gets onto it to it - other children do. I'm concerned that this could be a speed/processing issue.

I may get shot down in flames as these are very good scores and I know that is likely to be the reaction if I raise concerns with school.

There is a family history of ASD and dyslexia (both of which often show spikey profiles) and possibly dyspraxia too.

So should I be worried?
TIA

helpmum2003 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:55:15

My dc have only had CAT scores at secondary not primary but for my dc now in Y11 they've not been an accurate predictor of achievement.

Personally I would forget the CAT scores and deal with the child in front of you. My 1st DC also has very high verbal with lower others (but all high) - probably not as extreme as your dd though.

At age 5 dc1 was bored silly at primary school - was bored so not bothered and didn't perform well. Once dc1 was stretched performance improved ++.

If your dc is in reception I would just hold back and see what happens. If Y1 might be worth asking teacher to stretch her and see what happens. I don't think standard path benefit this type of child.

But I would forget about CAT scores.

peppaminttea Sat 11-Nov-17 21:03:41

Thanks. DD is Year 5 ( so aged 9) sorry it wasn't clear. I'll try to forget about CAT scores and just focus on trying to get teacher to stretch her. Easier said than done as we have already had several conversations and very little changes.

irvineoneohone Sat 11-Nov-17 21:41:13

If school is no help, you can always stretch her at home.

nrich.maths.org/

wild.maths.org/

helpmum2003 Sat 11-Nov-17 22:08:54

Sorry my error you did say Y5!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now