Talk

Advanced search

Reception Intervention

(14 Posts)
scottishclive Thu 09-Nov-17 17:36:23

After our first parents evening of DS's teacher suggested hi should join a couple of intervention groups one for language and one for speaking. This is based on a test they do prior to half-term. It seems a bit early for tests, so wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of going into early interventions?

We are obviously quite upset as thought he was doing fine, not brilliant has he is shy and had a previous speech language delay, but though he would be closer to the middle.

thanks

Norestformrz Thu 09-Nov-17 18:31:40

Lots of schools use Language Link and Speech Link assessments when children first start school. It’s a general thing across my county.

Norestformrz Thu 09-Nov-17 18:33:12

http://www.speechandlanguage.info

blessedmum2x Thu 09-Nov-17 18:44:38

I understand your initial reaction. I too was upset when my DD was put on some intervention when she was in Reception. In the end it was worth it. She is now a confident Year 1 child and doing very well across all areas including public speaking. At our parent-teacher meeting last evening, she was described as an asset to the class. If I were you I would take up the offer for intervention.

CustardDoughnutsRule Thu 09-Nov-17 20:13:50

It's very normal I think. There are loads of things going on in school that you don't get to hear about unless your child is involved. Gross motor skills, fine motor skills, emotional literacy support, numeracy, extra reading, writing group, friendship circle... It's not about labelling the child it's just targetting a bit of a boost where needed at the time. Even the most able will often have had some support from one or other of them over the years.

Catlovingmama Thu 09-Nov-17 20:18:03

I know how hard it is when they suggest interventions but im so pleased to read you are gong to get some help. At my dd's old school dc with salt difficulties got zero in school

scottishclive Fri 10-Nov-17 09:11:41

Thanks for all the advice, that helps to put it into the proper perspective.

2014newme Fri 10-Nov-17 09:15:29

Great that they have identified the issues and have interventions available would be my take on it.

Catlovingmama Fri 10-Nov-17 09:22:56

You sound like you have a great attitude op. I know it's hard so sending you some flowers

MiaowTheCat Fri 10-Nov-17 18:10:22

One of mine's been going to a nurture group for social skills and friendship issues all term (part of her being new to the school as well at a non-standard point in things)... the other of mine is being picked up for some in-school interventions for speech and language. I'm just glad it's being acted upon - our original choice of school's line was "oh we don't do much until year 1 cos the LEA aren't interested till it's pushing year 2 so we just leave it"... I'd much rather have this as the alternative! Her speech has come on in leaps and bounds since she started in September so something's going well!

dibbleanddobble Fri 10-Nov-17 22:46:54

Clive he may well be "close to the middle" interventions often target children who have potential and are basically doing well but have one thing holding them back. In your case it's speech and language in my ds case it's fine motor, in others it could be social skills. See it as a positive, they're being proactive.

MiaowTheCat Sat 11-Nov-17 09:00:39

Yep. In my eldest's case she's top ability group within the class, top group for phonics and I'm just so bloody relieved they've seen she's got social skills as a little bit of a weaker area and are putting some input into it rather than just shrugging their shoulders and patting themselves on the back as she's academically well on track so leave her to be unhappy!

Youngest is probably upper end of the middle ability for most stuff (she's got very poor concentration which brings it down somewhat), slightly higher where numbers are concerned - but still has this issue with speech immaturity.

Caulk Sat 11-Nov-17 09:03:21

It’s very normal. Often TAs run these groups and will have a variety of different children for different things - language, maths, reading, social skills etc. More can be achieved in a small group.

ChocolateButton15 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:47:47

My lo had the interventions thing in reception and now in year 1. It's not as scary as it sounds. It just means they do more reading, phonics or whatever extra help they need either 1 to 1 with the lsa or in little groups. My girl hasn't picked up that she gets extra help and other children haven't commented on it. It has made a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now