Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Book band staging?

(13 Posts)
YellowFish32 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:20:47

Hi, my son is 5, so one of the eldest in Foundation. He is on the first level with words (pink) book band which appears to be staged in his school. Is staging the books within bands a typical thing?

Not long before half term they started getting books. He chose a non-fiction wordless book the first week and since then they have been selected for him. He has had pink books which is appropriate but stage 4 and 5 containing fairly long sentences as well as phonics and tricky words he hasn't yet covered.

He finds them difficult and frustrating at home but does seem (somewhat) capable with coaxing, I write an honest account in the reading journal.

I do not wish to approach the teacher as I want to leave her in peace with her huge workload. However, is it likely that he consistently has these books because they have limited resources and therefore have to offer the older children slightly more challenging books due to not being able to stock 60 'satpin' books, or they are getting more out of him at school than he is prepared to do at home and they are the appropriate books?

Probably impossible to answer. I read somewhere that the books they bring home are supposed to be 90% current ability 10% challenge. Trying to work out whether I need to coax him along and challenge him or just provide easier books at home. I don't want him to end up hating reading.

Ginmummy1 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:31:03

Judging from similar threads, it’s not unlikely that the resources are limited, and also that the teacher is allowing mixed methods rather than sending out books that only contain the phonics learned so far.

You could either persevere with the school books (but help him to decode the harder words, explaining any new phonics that are encountered), or supply him with easier books yourself. It depends how confident he seems to be with the basic decoding he’s learned at school, and whether he will be daunted by so much new material.

The 90/10 rule is based on the old look and say method. With phonics, they should be able to decode all of the words in the book, and the challenge is to increase speed/fluency and work on comprehension.

How frustrating for you!

YellowFish32 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:38:19

Thank you, that's very helpful.

irvineoneohone Thu 09-Nov-17 10:57:55

I think you need to teach him phonics along the way to deal with those books, or get decodable books to match his current knowledge yourself.

There are many past phonics related threads, and they do have a link to get those decodable books.
I would recommend reading posts by mrz, Feenie, MasieD, Rafa, on those threads, they seems to be the experts on phonics.

YellowFish32 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:47:04

Thank you, I happen to have the songbird books so may offer him them. Having said that, they read with him today and have chosen to extend his tricky words. The comment reads, "Lovely blending R smile. Phase 3 tricky words given." I can't wait to hear what they say about him at parents evening confused. I'm hoping he's an angel at school and I get the tired outbursts.

Norestformrz Thu 09-Nov-17 18:35:35

“*^ and have chosen to extend his tricky words*^*”* that screams mixed methods I’m afraid.

YellowFish32 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:38:14

He is given two reading books and a sheet of tricky words, he has had the 'Phase 2' words (6 words) for maybe 5 weeks or so and knows them well. Today has been given a sheet of 'Phase 3' words (12 words) in addition.

Does this mean mixed methods? Is he school not using evidence based practice?

Norestformrz Thu 09-Nov-17 19:47:35

If he’s expected to learn them by memorising whole words it’s definitely mixed methods combined with inappropriate books

GreenTulips Thu 09-Nov-17 19:54:40

Look on The letters and sounds website for the phases

They are a mixture of tricky worlds and sounds

I go no the into are the first set along with SATPIN etc then on to Y ZZ Etc there's games to play

Your teacher won't look at his age, she's looking at ability in class and during lessons

cupcake007 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:38:48

I work in a reception class and I wouldn't give phase 3 tricky words to a child at this point in the year. Is he sounding and blending words? Our children have only just this week started phase 3 sounds.

YellowFish32 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:00:41

From my understanding, they have not covered all of the phase 2 sounds, this week they are doing /c/ and /k/ (from the information whiteboard). He seems to be capable of blending words and seems to know the phase 2 sounds, but he has rage and it's a fight to read any school books. I don't know if I'm getting a true picture of where he is. The books he is getting home feature sounds they have not yet covered in class (according to the whiteboard). I've been doing his school books the minimum 3 times a week as I don't want to ruin reading for him. As in my OP, I can't work out whether he appears to be capable in school or they have limited resources. He is a very sensitive child with a level of perfectionism which prevents him from trying things, he seems to express this frustration most, ahem, enthusiastically with me.

YellowFish32 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:04:10

That's very interesting, cupcake! Maybe I should ignore them for now, haha.

YellowFish32 Wed 15-Nov-17 16:32:08

They've put him up a book band hmm. I think he must be throwing a fit at home and reading angellically at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now