Talk

Advanced search

Picture books in reception: a waste of time?

(31 Posts)
HarryPottersBroomstick Sun 05-Nov-17 19:52:54

I am genuinely curious, not trying to be rude.

DS has just started at a lovely infants school and, as expected, is bringing home picture books to talk to us about. The Biff and Chip ones.

I get what we are supposed to be doing with him, we ask questions and he talks about the pictures and thereby tells us the story (at least I hope that's correct!) but I just wondered why? Does research show this makes reading easier? I am not in a particular rush to get him onto word books BTW, I have faith he will read when he is ready.

He/ we are fortunate that we can afford lots of children's books at home, we go to the library, he gets a bedtime story. Is it for those children who don't get this? To start them gently with holding the book/ turning the pages correctly?

Do other countries that start children later do this?

Thanks

LadyintheRadiator Sun 05-Nov-17 19:54:10

Does he enjoy them?

OuchBollocks Sun 05-Nov-17 19:57:49

I suspect that for children with poor language skills and little exposure to books, it will introduce vocabulary and the basics of story telling and force discussion of the events rather than just galloping tonelessly through a story.

VeryPunny Sun 05-Nov-17 19:59:59

It’s all about comprehension and being able to follow a narrative. There’s more to reading than just parroting words.

Ojoj1974 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:01:25

They are fantastic to get children using descriptive words and their imagination. I have to strongly disagree

HarryPottersBroomstick Sun 05-Nov-17 20:02:42

Ok yes, comprehension makes sense. I guess a child could read well but not understand what they are reading.

He seems to enjoy telling us well enough.

RavenWings Sun 05-Nov-17 20:05:13

I have worked with some children who have very little experience of books in general, and they are fantastic as an introduction to books. I also found them useful with EAL children, because we could use it to explore new language and it was something they could take home to share with parents.

Otherwise, I feel they're helpful for oral language work, narrative skills and prediction.

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:07:18

They’re very profitable for the publishers hmm
The only use they have is that they introduce the characters found in the scheme anything else can be achieved by sharing high quality picture books.

spanieleyes Sun 05-Nov-17 20:08:19

Using picture books is great for all of the above, whether I would use Biff and Chip books as a good example is a different matter!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 05-Nov-17 20:10:51

They make lots of money for OUP but beyond that there's nothing you can do with them that couldn't be done better with a good quality children's picture book to share.

Callamia Sun 05-Nov-17 20:10:54

Story-telling is a wonderful skill. Understanding that there is a beginning, middle and end; learning to sequence; looking at faces and emotions; using imaginations and creativity - all so valuable, and arguably more useful to a 4 year old than bloody phonics.

There’s good research to show that story-telling is good for developing emotional and social skills too.

kittytom Sun 05-Nov-17 20:13:15

I used to think this then I got Rosie's Walk and some of the wordless books by Dick Bruna - my kids loved making up the story to those, and then I got it!

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:15:10

Do you really need rubbish Biff et al books to learn about stories?hmm
You don’t need phonics if you’re making up your own story but they’re essential if you want to master accurate word reading rather than guessing

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:16:52

*“*^*Does research show this makes reading easier?*^ *“* no

Stressyseller Sun 05-Nov-17 20:20:23

My dc has some sn and these really helped learn to tell a story which has helped with explaining what happened in a story misreading is going welll

Stressyseller Sun 05-Nov-17 20:20:57

I meant now reading not misreading blush

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:21:18

How are they any better than a quality picture book?

MimsyBorogroves Sun 05-Nov-17 20:25:13

Sequencing, comprehension, developing vocabulary etc.

There are still a frightening amount of children who will never have picked up a book, nor had one read to them before.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:25:32

Schools can’t afford quality picture books and probably don’t have to curate a collection either.

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:26:40

They could if they didn’t waste money buying wordless ORT

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:27:57

They can also borrow book boxes from the library service at no cost to use if they really don’t have books in classrooms.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 05-Nov-17 20:28:14

It does seem odd that at a time when children's literature is so strong and easily available, people can be duped into thinking these lilac Level scheme books are necessary.

Just think how many stories a child who has very few books at home could potentially have been exposed to in the first half term of school if it weren't for the Biff & chip ones.

HarryPottersBroomstick Sun 05-Nov-17 20:28:47

Thanks for the responses. As previously said I was just curious as to their value. Used a slightly controversial thread title as click bait.

I suppose "Hugs" does the same thing in a more interesting way!

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 20:33:46

Six wordless ORT books will cost a school £22.50 Ten Julia Donaldson et al picture books £9.99

rosybell Sun 05-Nov-17 21:52:29

The wordless biff and chip books are just awful. The stories are not engaging or interesting in the least. I’m actually worried they will put my ds off reading. There are so many lovely picture books out there I just don’t see the need for them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: