Talk

Advanced search

Sight words and reading in reception

(6 Posts)
Owletterocks Sat 04-Nov-17 16:13:43

Just wondered as our school uses sight words a lot. Ds is now in year one, has a great memory and can blend well so can pretty much read most things now. Dd has just started reception and is young (late June birthday) and has been given 3 sight words to learn a few letters and a few basic phonic words e.g. Sat, pat etc. She has learned the letter sounds but it took about a week to learn 5 just quickly going over them once a day. She can't remember the sight words except 'a' but she can blend the phonic words pretty well.

I am not worried as it is very early days but I just wondered as I have heard it said on here that children shouldn't learn by remembering common words but should decode all words. Is that right? I have never questioned it before as it seemed to suit ds but it isn't suiting dd (though I do realise that it might be a readiness issue). It just seems a shame that she can blend basic words well but is behind on her sight words

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 04-Nov-17 17:48:53

I wouldn't learn the sight words like that tbh. She'll learn the sight words better with more reading rather than like that as more exposure to them will increase familiarity imo.

Feenie Sat 04-Nov-17 18:10:27

You're right, OP, she shouldn't have to learn a list of sight words at all. The National Curriculum states that children shouldn't be asked to use other strategies that are not phonics to decode words.

www.thereadingcentre.com/2014/08/19/should-key-words-be-taught-as-sight-words/

Owletterocks Sat 04-Nov-17 21:25:47

Thanks for your replies. That's dissapointing from the school then. They send them home with a list of words and then change the list once they know them. Maybe I will just concentrate on the letter sounds and blending with her and ignore the sight words and just let her pick them up naturally.

She only has picture books at the moment with no words in

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 05-Nov-17 00:01:40

Don’t worry about that either. Ds only got books after half term last year and started with wordless books. That’s quite normal.

Owletterocks Sun 05-Nov-17 09:43:35

Thanks. I am not worried really, she is still very young. Just a bit annoyed that the school are using out dated methods. Don't want her to lose confidence because she can't remember things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now