Talk

Advanced search

Homework never seen or marked by a teacher

(16 Posts)
Pineapple5678 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:57:36

My child is in year 6. This is the first year they have received homework other than spellings. Every week they get a maths work sheet to work through. I have just found out the child marks it them selves as the teacher calls put the correct answers. They then receive next sheet stick that in book and put it in their bag ready to go home. The teacher never finds out the score or sees the work to see where they might be going wrong or can improve. Is anyone able to tell me is this the norm? How does this help the child?

FavouriteParksAreCarParks Sat 04-Nov-17 10:00:20

Totally normal and reasonable for the child or a peer to mark. It would take the teacher hours and hours. By Year Six the children should be able to mark their maths and reflect on where they went wrong / if they need help. Don’t worry, their teacher will be marking lots of maths from classroom work and will know how they’re all doing. 😀

flyingpigsinclover Sat 04-Nov-17 10:06:06

The teacher might not mark the homework but I'm sure that they will look at it - you don't know that they never see the scores. Given the pressure that teachers are under to make sure that pupils are making enough progress I am sure that they look at it.

However, I do agree that it should at least be acknowledged - it really annoys me when a teacher can't even be bothered to put a tick or smile at the bottom to show that they have looked at the homework.
I suppose we are just supposed to be grateful that the homework is not ripped up and the pupil is told it's rubbish.

FATEdestiny Sat 04-Nov-17 10:06:37

I noticed on a recent teaching post advertisement for a primary teacher at my child's school that the fact homework is not marked is a positive reason to apply for the post of teacher there. The advert gloried in the fact that homework will never be marked.

As a parent (and secondary teacher) I found it appalling to read on the advert. But I do understand why, prioritising the work/life balance of staff. That doesn't make it any more pleasant to read as a parent though.

I think the main reason homework is set is because of the expectation of parents that it should be. Secondary reason is independant learning. Neither of these are harmed by the fact homework isnt looked at.

confusedlittleone Sat 04-Nov-17 10:08:00

You'll probably find the teacher would be able to tell who has and hasn't done the homework as well through the lessons they do

shopaholic85 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:12:38

Sounds perfectly normal, especially for assessments where there is a right answer. The EEF has collected together research that shows that homework has a limited impact on progress for students in primary school anyway.

SureIusedtobetaller Sat 04-Nov-17 10:13:01

If you’re going to cut marking homework is a good one as you can tell little about a child’s ability or understanding from it. I’ve taught children with quite severe sen but beautiful homework.
However I always mark it as they’ve made the effort to do it so it is only fair!

Pineapple5678 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:18:05

Thank you for all you opinions

waitingforlifetostart Sat 04-Nov-17 13:01:23

The scores are irrelevant as some will have had parental/sibling help and others won't. Homework is for home and for reitterating ideas taught in class, not for teacher assessment purposes.

Abitofaproblem Sat 04-Nov-17 18:52:12

I think it is hard to convince a child anybody really cares about the homework when it is not marked. I understand all the arguments about teachers' workload etc, doesn't make it a good thing for the children.

FavouriteParksAreCarParks Sat 04-Nov-17 19:16:11

But it IS marked!! It’s marked by the child as a whole class exercise. Common mistakes will be addressed, marks may be taken, questions answered. If the child hasn’t done it they’ll have to do it at break time. They’ll be aware their friends have done it and won’t want to look daft.

We’re talking MATHS here where there is a straight right or wrong answer.

And we’re talking year six not Reception.

irvineoneohone Sat 04-Nov-17 19:47:39

I agree with Favourite. It is marked. So the children know where they made mistakes. It's up to them to revise it or not.

Abitofaproblem Sat 04-Nov-17 20:26:43

Actually Favourite you are right. In OP case the work is indeed marked in class, and I agree it is not a problem. I disagree with not providing feedback on "research project" or writing based work though, which is what happened in DS previous school.

FavouriteParksAreCarParks Sat 04-Nov-17 21:10:31

Agree that when it’s not a right or wrong answer that can be marked by the child eg maths and spag then the teacher should mark it. And I think it’s really only appropriate for Y5 and Y6.

HonestTeacher Sun 05-Nov-17 12:13:34

This is very normal. The teacher will know who is struggling and who is doing well based on their classwork. My TA marks all my homework.

I teach 5 lessons a day in primary. That is 150 books most days that need marking so just do not have the time to mark homework too.

jamdonut Sun 05-Nov-17 12:51:12

I mark year 6 maths homework. If anyone has clearly not got the idea or has terrible presentation, I bring it to the teacher's attention. I will make a comment at the end, or stick in a sticker. Sometimes I ask a question for further clarification of an answer.
The teacher does not have time to do all the marking, it is impossible, to fit it all in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now