Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what does a narrator wear at nativity play?

(20 Posts)
ChipmunksInAttic Fri 03-Nov-17 21:51:06

hi all,

my 4 year old DS will be playing narrator role in christmas play at school (he has actually got only one line to say, about shepherds watching their sheep smile ) We are asked to prepare a 'party outfit', but I don't have any ideas.

by the way I and my husband are both expats and this is only our second year in this country. we didn't have any nativity plays in our home country as it was mostly a muslim country (though we are not religious) that's why I don't have a common sense about it :/

thanks!

Balfe Fri 03-Nov-17 22:09:22

I'd say a party outfit would be nice cords/jeans and a jumper.

Your school are terribly organised. I am still trying to pick Mary and Joseph.

irvineoneohone Fri 03-Nov-17 22:11:23

Most of the boys worn shirt/ ties/ trousers/waistcoat at my ds's school.
They were adorable.
Something like these.

www.next.co.uk/search?w=Boys%20Waistcoat&isort=score&af=#1_0

Appuskidu Fri 03-Nov-17 22:11:43

Party/smart clothes.

Caulk Fri 03-Nov-17 22:15:51

The kind of clothes he would wear to a party.

CustardDoughnutsRule Sat 04-Nov-17 02:24:13

Trousers and a shirt. Jeans fine if they're all he's got, but if he has any smarter trousers then use those. T shirt or long sleeved T also ok but a button up shirt would be preferable, and I'd avoid football shirts.

Basically you are being asked for him to look smartish ideally, but you're definitely not expected to buy anything specially.

CustardDoughnutsRule Sat 04-Nov-17 02:40:52

Anything he would have worn to a celebration or party in your home country would be more than acceptable too, I'm sure. It just means smart-ish.

BenLui Sat 04-Nov-17 03:13:02

It just means something smartish.

Trousers/nice jeans and a shirt or jumper.

An appropriate Christmas jumper would probably be ok too.

irvineoneohone Sat 04-Nov-17 07:57:50

I think best ask teacher or other parents.
In reception, my ds was an only one who wore smartish clothes(nice jumper, shirt and trousers) and told by other child he didn't look smart enough. He cried.sad
So in KS1, I had to buy proper party out fit because all the boys wore waistcoat and girls wore party dress.
But it maybe just our school. Best check what your school mean by party outfit.

2014newme Sat 04-Nov-17 07:59:44

Our school provides all nativity outfits for the whole school (300 kids)
Dark trousers and a shirt for narrator

Witchend Sat 04-Nov-17 12:59:12

Typically smartish trousers and a shirt with or without a tie. You can go all the way and have a tie and waistcoat, but it's up to you.

My ds insisted on his red-arrows t-shirt because "the red arrows should fly over the stable". The teacher agreed, so there was the line of smartly dressed girls and boys that would have looked fine at a wedding, and ds in shorts and t-shirt (that looked like he'd rolled on the dusty floor). grin

catkind Sat 04-Nov-17 17:29:00

Yep trousers and a shirt if you have them. I wouldn't get anything special, just any old home clothes clean and ironed will be fine. It's mainly so they're not feeling left out when everyone else is dressing up.

I was going to tell you that when DD was a narrator she was dressed as a cow, but I guess that doesn't apply here!

jamdonut Sun 05-Nov-17 15:06:28

Party outfit is jeans and thirty/casual shirt in my opinion.

jamdonut Sun 05-Nov-17 15:07:48

*thirty = t-shirt

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 15:13:45

DD was always narrator b/c she could read early.
Smart dark clothes were good, or anything festive, really.

irvineoneohone Sun 05-Nov-17 15:30:05

I thought that smart cloths meant something not t-shirt and jeans. I was totally wrong. My neighbourhood is not particularly affluent, but looks like parents are very competitive and like to go OTT.
All the girls wore party dress with lots of frills and all the boys wore waistcoat.
So, you may live in decent area with sensible parents, or you may live in the area like us. Better check with teacher and other parents.

Joinourclub Sun 05-Nov-17 15:44:50

There is no way the kids at our school would be dressed up like little groomsmen. More like cords, checked shirt and a Christmas jumper.

MiaowTheCat Sun 05-Nov-17 16:50:14

Basically it translates as "let them wear something they like - so they don't feel left out compared to Freddie who gets to be 3rd sheep on the right and gets a costume"

Norestformrz Sun 05-Nov-17 17:02:54

We once had a child arrive dressed as Thomas the Tank Engine when we asked for party clothes so we now say smart clothes which usually translates to tee shirt and joggers at our school. For the nativity we provide costumes for all the children because narrators often feel left out.

MiaowTheCat Sun 05-Nov-17 17:54:53

I was usually the narrator - good reader, clear, loud voice, clearly spoken.

I was always really really pissed off when the letter went home saying narrators had to just wear smart school uniform. I wanted to be a sheep or an angel damnit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now