Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Reading help!

(6 Posts)
Jojopugh Fri 03-Nov-17 10:59:41

Hi all, any advise? My 7 year old is in year 3. She has been having help reading and extra help reading at school for the past 12 months.
When she is at home she seems to be able to read okay but in the class room I think is where her trouble lie. I don’t think her class is particularly disruptive and she loves school.
She loves reading and we have always read together. She even reads to her little sister who is 3.
I think she struggles to concentrate on class as, as you all know most gov schools have 30+ children in one class.

Is she bored?
Is something not clicking?
Is it the technique the teachers using?
Could she being attention seeking a bit? (I hate that phrase too)
Is she only doing what she ‘needs to do’ as she likes the extra attention?

I have expressed these concerns to the teacher and she says she isn’t particularly worried about her.

She is my first child so I’m still new to all this as she is going through her education!

Any help is goodsmilesmile

Ginmummy1 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:52:38

Jojo I'm not sure I can much advise (many better people will surely come along!) but can I ask a few questions to understand a bit more about what's going on?

When you say "when she is at home she seems to be able to read okay" what do you mean? Does she read aloud to you most days? What level of books is she on? Is she reading fluently? Is she decoding unfamiliar words using her phonics knowledge? Does she ever 'guess' at words? Does she read with expression?

If you actually think she's attention seeking, can you get another family member to video her reading some new text to you, to show the teacher how well she reads at home? If it's really the fact that she's not trying at school, I would be giving her a stern talking to! I bet it isn't though!

Jojopugh Fri 03-Nov-17 13:11:49

Hi Gin,
Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not sure if she guesses words to be honest.
She reads fluent in a lot he her sentences. If there are any words in a sentence she struggles with she breaks them down and gets them correct first and then re-reads the sentence with expression.
She does read out loud to herself and to me. I have been encouraging this more too so she can hear herself.
She does still you her phonics knowledge and FRED talks some of her words.

She read to my sister who’s little boy is the same age and excels in his reading she said my daughter reads the same as her 6 year old.

I have posted a picture of text in her reading book. She is on level 11.

The Ada thing is she compares herself to the ‘clever girl’ in school.

I never tell her off for struggling to read although I do sometimes have to give her a talking to about her concentration

Jojopugh Fri 03-Nov-17 13:12:31

Not Ada sorry. It’s supposed to say sad thing is 😀

suitcaseofdreams Fri 03-Nov-17 13:23:48

I would go back to the teacher and ask for more clarity - what extra help is your daughter getting with reading in school, and why is she getting it if the teacher isn't worried about her? Ask the teacher to explain what the issues are and why they are putting interventions in place for your daughter. This will help you better understand what the underlying issues might be

Jojopugh Fri 03-Nov-17 21:10:44

Thankyou, I will do. See why she says 😀

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: