Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reception parents eve

(12 Posts)
tinypop4 Thu 02-Nov-17 15:59:20

I had this last night for Dd who is 5 next week.
Having mulled over it today I feel a bit disappointed about the experience but not sure if it's normal feedback.
The teacher, an NQT, said that DD is very able (she is fairly, knows her phonics, reads quite well, good at addition subtraction-all learnt at school in Asia where we were till recently). She said because of this Dd will be encouraged to work independently as she doesn't need the same input.
Now Dd still has plenty to learn- she's able but not gifted.
I'm a bit miffed that a 5 year old is expected to learn independently - how is that even possible?
She also said that when they start sending books home (no sign yet) Dd would read to us at home but not to anyone at school - we would just communicate via a log then she would get a different book. Is that right? Dd is my first child so not sure

tinypop4 Thu 02-Nov-17 16:06:13

Btw I'm totally aware that the teacher has 30 children to get to their early learning goals, but I'm not sure how I feel about that meaning that the more able get left to it.

lorisparkle Thu 02-Nov-17 16:15:11

In reception the focus is learning through play with appropriate activities of different challenges being available. The less able children may need guidance and support to access the activities whilst the more able would be encouraged to work independently. There would still be appropriate level of challenge but it is really important that the children can work independently. At my ds school only the children who need extra support are listened to individually. The teacher and ta teach them the skills necessary and assess them through their general activities but the children are not on the whole listened to read unless they are struggling.

tinypop4 Thu 02-Nov-17 16:33:26

Okay thanks for clarification, I didn't know most of this.
I'm still surprised that there are 5 year olds who work independently - I teach teenagers and some of them still struggle with that!

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 16:41:48

'work' could mean painting, doing water play, playing outside, playing with puppets, drawing, Lego, etc

Ellle Thu 02-Nov-17 17:04:29

Every school does things differently. Although, it doesn't seem ideal the arrangement they have for your DD about reading. DS2 is also in reception and knows all his phonics and reads any book quite well, but he reads to the teacher and changes his books twice a week. He started getting books since week 2.

Hopefully working independently means that your DD receives guidance and then is left to explore things on her own but with a teacher nearby to provide support as necessary. DS1 has always been quite able all across subjects but especially in Maths, and I have always been told that he works very well independently. It means he gets the initial instructions the same as everyone else, but can then get on doing his work by himself without someone next to him helping him or reminding him what to do.

tinypop4 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:17:28

Every school does things differently. Although, it doesn't seem ideal the arrangement they have for your DD about reading. DS2 is also in reception and knows all his phonics and reads any book quite well, but he reads to the teacher and changes his books twice a week. He started getting books since week 2.

That's kind of what I was hoping for if I'm honest. It's a shame for the teacher not to pick her up at the stage she's at, but perhaps this will come later in the year.

Norestformrz Thu 02-Nov-17 17:54:14

In EYFS the child is assessed on what they can do independently in their everyday “play”
“Embedded learning is identified by assessing what a child can do consistently and independently in a range of everyday situations.”

SummerRains Sat 04-Nov-17 19:41:43

Whilst every school does things differently I would be concerned if your child did not read to anyone in school. Whilst the actual teacher rarely heard my child read their book sent home, a volunteer (same one all year) or a TA did twice a week. Do all other children read at school?

sallythesheep73 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:01:16

I would ask what they mean by 'working independently' in reception? As others said it might mean play dough on their own.. Are there no other children of a similar standard?

My understanding from friends was at some of the London schools children who can read are 'streamed' in reception so that they have their own ability group.

Norestformrz Mon 06-Nov-17 19:14:03

*“*^*I would ask what they mean by 'working independently' in reception?*^*”* Reception teachers are looking for children to demonstrate skills and knowledge in their independent play rather than when working with a teacher or other adult in directed activities,

Anotheroneishere Tue 07-Nov-17 00:42:58

When asking for challenge, it's good to know exactly what you want. Do you want books sent home to support home reading? If so, ask if that can happen. It takes about 5 minutes for a teacher to pick the level for a kid, and then another 10 seconds to change books. This should be very easy to achieve.

Independent work means less support. She'll listen in with the phonics, which is even helpful for confident readers as they will need to learn spelling, and she'll listen in with the maths on the carpet. She'll join in activities, likely with a bit of streaming, for phonics (writing) and maths. If you're reading with her daily at home, reading at school doesn't add much.

My oldest didn't read for the teachers at school one-on-one in reception. Once a month perhaps the teacher would check his level with a book, but that was it. He progressed very well that year and developed his writing and spelling.

Honestly, I asked directly for books for my youngest when he was fluently reading in nursery. It helped me provide more reading material for him, and he enjoyed it. Ask for books, whether or not the rest of the class is getting them. That shouldn't be a big ask and will help you support more at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now