Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

What is this and where can I get one?

(17 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Nov-17 15:59:09

Dd2 has just said her teacher out a green page over her book to help with her reading.

Anyone know what this actually does and as she said it helped I could get one for home (if I know what to Google wink )

Cyclebird Thu 02-Nov-17 16:02:55

Sounds like a coloured overlay. They can be useful with dyslexia. Will try and post a link....

Valeriemalorie Thu 02-Nov-17 16:03:42

Ask the teacher? They might have one you could use at home.

Cyclebird Thu 02-Nov-17 16:04:57

My IT skills are failing me! Google dyslexic coloured reading ruler.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Nov-17 16:05:21

She wasn't allowed to bring it home so figured if she said it helped I could just get one.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Nov-17 16:05:48

Thank you cycle smile

flyingpigsinclover Thu 02-Nov-17 16:05:48

www.thedyslexiashop.co.uk/i-o-o-intuitive-coloured-a4-overlays.html

£5.28 from here.

flyingpigsinclover Thu 02-Nov-17 16:07:01

or these - £7.19

www.thedyslexiashop.co.uk/crossbow-coloured-reading-rulers-matt-plain-finish-pack-of-5-of-single-colour-2.html

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Nov-17 16:11:36

Fab thank you...

So could this just be the lazy eye talking or could she actually be dyslexic then if it helps confused

flyingpigsinclover Thu 02-Nov-17 16:16:28

What does your DD say when you ask her what the letters on the page look like?

hazeyjane Thu 02-Nov-17 16:21:38

There are loads of different coloured overlays, and children with specific need for them (with certain visual difficulties and specific types of dyslexia) should be tested by someone who knows what they are doing, in order to find the overlay that actually helps (schools seem to love them and ime bung any old colour they have at a child, or let the child choose!)

I would want to talk to the teacher about why they used it? Do they feel your dd needs further testing and do they have any concerns?

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Nov-17 16:26:24

She doesn't say much. She's been quite slow to read but she has a lazy eye and wears glasses. They had a bit of a sudden Interest in her diagnosis after it became clear shed fail the phonics screening but after realising there was nothing they could put her on the register with things died down

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 02-Nov-17 20:25:19

It could be down to lazy eye too, yes. Ds has tracking issues at times and has lazy eye.

Katescurios Thu 02-Nov-17 20:27:47

Of may be worth asking an optometrist to test her for irlen syndrome. You can get glasses with different coloured tinted lenses too if it turns out there is a specific tint that helps her.

Long term its something you would want to consider for access arrangements in tests, either use of an overlay or printed on coloured paper.

GardeningWithDynamite Thu 02-Nov-17 20:29:58

Some opticians offer colour filter testing (we paid for one for DD). Ours said they need to be about 8 before the test is reliable. They have lots of different colours.

Phillipa12 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:35:16

When ds was in year 3 at school they all got tested by an optometrist for irlen syndrome, ds now has an aqua overlay and says it helps a lot, he isnt dyslexic and his reading ability was above average.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Nov-17 22:43:00

Wow didn't realise it was quite so complicated. It's parents evening very soon I will ask teacher then it may just be a one off. Got another eye appointment coming up soon then so can perhaps ask about lenses then

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: