Talk

Advanced search

2018 primary applications

(12 Posts)
Mallowmarshmallow Tue 31-Oct-17 10:23:14

Hello all

My son is due to start school in September and I thought I saw a support thread for those in a similar position but I can’t find it now.

Would anyone be kind enough to link it for me please?

user1490043295 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:26:34

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3020218-Its-time-to-bust-primary-application-myths-again?pg=1&order=

user1490043295 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:26:59

This should help

Mallowmarshmallow Sat 04-Nov-17 09:26:12

Thank you, that was the one I was thinking of

purple1pineapple Sat 04-Nov-17 21:24:20

If I put a school first choice but live further away than someone who puts it second, who gets the place?

ElizabethShaw Sat 04-Nov-17 21:28:18

If they don't get their first choice, they will get their second if they are close enough. The order you put your preferences doesn't really matter.

BarbarianMum Sat 04-Nov-17 21:36:41

It could be either or neither of you depending on the category of admission the child would be admitted under and whether they are successful in their first choice .

Paddington68 Sun 05-Nov-17 08:24:45

The order you put preferences in REALLY, REALLY matters!

BananaDaiquiri Sun 05-Nov-17 08:31:38

purple1pineapple

in short, assuming you are both going for a distance place, they have a better chance than you of the place because they are closer.

prh47bridge Sun 05-Nov-17 09:25:40

If I put a school first choice but live further away than someone who puts it second, who gets the place

Assuming the school uses distance as the tie breaker and you are both in the same admissions category, the person living closer gets the place even though they named it as their second choice.

As Paddington68 says, the order you put your preferences matters. If you qualify for offers from two or more schools you will only be offered the place at your highest preference. It is therefore important that you put your preferences in your genuine order of preference. Do not try to game the system. At best it will make no difference. At worst you could lose out on a place you really wanted.

passthecremeeggs Sun 05-Nov-17 10:02:24

*If I put a school first choice but live further away than someone who puts it second, who gets the place*

Assuming the school uses distance as the tie breaker and you are both in the same admissions category, the person living closer gets the place even though they named it as their second choice.

This is only true if the person who put it as second choice doesn't get their first choice! If they get their first preference everything else drops away.

Paddington68 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:20:48

School generally don't know the preference you have given them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now