Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for child to never read their reading books at school?

(28 Posts)
BlueA4Paper Mon 30-Oct-17 08:56:16

Ds is in Y1, every week he comes home with his reading book with a note saying he hasn't read it before so might find it tricky. Shouldn't they be reading through it at least once in school before bringing it home? Or is this perfectly normal?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 30-Oct-17 09:37:16

ds' reading books never are read at school but his rwi inc ones are not brought home.

BlueA4Paper Mon 30-Oct-17 09:56:16

Ah - maybe they read other ones at school - will ask at next parent consultation

SaturnUranus Mon 30-Oct-17 10:32:24

At our school the reading books go straight into their bags to be taken home. They read them for the first time at home.

They have other books that they use/read during the school day but those ones stay at school.

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 30-Oct-17 10:35:01

reading book with a note saying he hasn't read it before so might find it tricky

What is this obsession that some schools and parents seem to have with reading (simple year 1) books multiple times, what exactly is it teaching?

Anyway, DD never read any of her home books at school.

RedSkyAtNight Mon 30-Oct-17 10:50:57

Surely once you've read a "learning to read" book once, there's limited point in reading it again? So no, reading at school first is not normal

Naty1 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:06:39

I also feel limited value to rereading the simpler books. So seems pretty pointless to only have 2 books a week as i will not be rereading. Once the vocab gets more complicated from say turquoise and above with more story, then maybe.
Here they sometimes do read the book before it gets home with a parent volunteer

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 30-Oct-17 12:19:39

TBh I haven't reread any books with my year 1 ds for a while.

BlueA4Paper Mon 30-Oct-17 12:54:09

Ok, that's alright then. TBH it was the note that made me think maybe they should be reading them at school first.

MiaowTheCat Mon 30-Oct-17 13:07:35

Ours ask that (unless it's becoming a really grim slog through it) the kids read the book twice but that can include reading at school and they're heard reading in school at least once a week. Kids have pretty free rein over when they change them though to be honest.

Depending on when they've been heard reading sometimes they come home with a book they've changed and just put in their bag, sometimes they've read all or part of it at school first - just depends how the day's fallen.

Norestformrz Mon 30-Oct-17 18:08:24

*“*^*What is this obsession that some schools and parents seem to have with reading (simple year 1) books multiple times, what exactly is it teaching?*^*”*

It’s a statutory requirement of the National Curriculum to re read these books “ to build up their fluency and confidence in word reading.”

irvineoneohone Mon 30-Oct-17 21:13:57

When my ds was on leveled books, he brought home same books again and again, because he loved it so much. I don't think there's nothing wrong with reading same(easy) books multiple times.
He still does this now, keep borrowing same books from local library, and end up buying his own copy, and still reads it multiple times.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 30-Oct-17 23:19:44

I think it’s different as it’s his choice though but some of the levelled books make me wish for sleep.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 30-Oct-17 23:20:30

Lol but my son does want to go bk and read the biff and chip books he’s missed.

Anotheroneishere Tue 31-Oct-17 02:03:50

Reading books for home also go straight in the bag without being read at school here. My reception boy reads to his teacher once a week, and it's usually his reading book. In year 1, my older boy didn't read his home books at school. The school did guided reading, and the children read different books at school than what came home.

There's nothing wrong with re-reading if a child wants to, but I don't ask my boys to do that. My Year 2 boy grabs his little brother's Biff and Chip books and reads through every one of those, again. For the higher level books, my older one would complain about getting some books for the second time, but only for books he wouldn't have picked himself (Traditional Tales like Rumpelstiltskin or Beauty and the Beast). Getting "Ice Maker, Ice Breaker" for a second time made him jump for joy.

SardineJam Tue 31-Oct-17 02:18:04

Ds2 is in year 1 and brings home a different book every day. This is self selected from a drawer of books sorted into colour level. He's not read them with the teacher previously.
We have a selection of Biff and Chip books and these will often be re-read on weekends and holidays.

MM5 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:16:11

Re-reading books is extremely beneficial. This article outlines it well.
www.readbrightly.com/why-reading-the-same-book-repeatedly-is-good-for-kids/

Also, usually different books go home than are used in school. The MORE a child reads the better they get at it. The better they get at it the less problems they will have in understanding other subjects and life long success.

Ttbb Tue 31-Oct-17 07:18:36

Isn't that the point?

Oblomov17 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:30:32

No. Never have here. They get changed to the level they are on. And read at home. Why you think they should be read in school first, is completely beyond me! hmm

irvineoneohone Tue 31-Oct-17 07:41:14

No reason for hmm face. OP was unsure because of the notes she got with the books.

BlueA4Paper Tue 31-Oct-17 18:25:11

Indeed - the note indirectly suggests that not having pre-read the home book is in some way out of the ordinary. But it's not so that's ok. I usually manage two read throughs before boredom sparked refusal kicks in. Thanks for the input all!

2014newme Tue 31-Oct-17 21:08:30

No mine never read the same book twice.

irvineoneohone Tue 31-Oct-17 21:19:48

2014, really? Never? Not eve their favorite books?
Even at lower level books, my ds had few favorites. I can still remember what was all about since I listened to him read multiple times.
As for the online reading books, ds read all the lime level books at least twice, some even more, since they went only up to lime in ks1. And I didn't think it was pointless at all.

2014newme Tue 31-Oct-17 21:25:19

No, it's weird because I used to read my faves again and again

2014newme Tue 31-Oct-17 21:26:05

Must have read Heidi a zillion times
😂
But they on read stuff once

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now