Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Maths help for 10 year old dd

(13 Posts)
Oh2beatsea Fri 27-Oct-17 16:24:54

My daughter is 10 (year 5) and she is struggling with maths homework. I’ve spoken to the teacher about extra help but there are other children in the class who need more support. Can anyone recommend any books / websites or apps to help please? I think some of it is a confidence thing too.
Also has anyone had good experiences with private tutors?
Thanks.

MissConductUS Fri 27-Oct-17 16:37:58

Khan Academy is always the first place I look for on line school help, and they have a lot of math resources:

www.khanacademy.org/

My son (now 17 yo and in 12th grade) has a private math tutor who comes to the house for an hour a week and that's been a huge help - math anxiety vanquished! So if you can afford it and can locate one I strongly recommend it. But try Khan Academy first.

HTH

irvineoneohone Fri 27-Oct-17 17:11:44

I'd second Khan. Also for video tutorials, This one is great. mathantics

MissConductUS Fri 27-Oct-17 17:52:55

Here's another tip that you didn't hear from me smile. If you copy and paste a math word problem into google there's a very good chances that it and the solution are posted on line somewhere and google will find it.

irvineoneohone Fri 27-Oct-17 18:40:13

If you can tell us what topic/skills she is struggling, I may be able to suggest you more appropriate websites for that if you like.

GreenTulips Fri 27-Oct-17 18:42:35

If you copy and paste a math word problem into google there's a very good chances that it and the solution are posted on line somewhere and google will find it.

Don't do this! She needs to learn HOW to solve the problem not 'find the answer'

There's a reason why males are give fornwoekimg out and this won't work in SATS

MoonHare Fri 27-Oct-17 18:45:05

My 9 yo Dd in y5 started with a private tutor during summer hols. Has done wonders for her maths confidence already. Her tutor is a recently retired ks2 maths lead from a local school. She has been wonderful. 45 mins pw.

MissConductUS Fri 27-Oct-17 18:49:24

I have only done this when he has no other way of finding the method of solving a particular type of word problem, and then let him use it as an example to solve similar problems.

Our high school seems to have done away with math textbooks, so he has sometimes come home with homework problems and nothing he can reference on how to approach them.

He had a 710 on his math SAT, so it doesn't seem to have done any long term damage.

irvineoneohone Fri 27-Oct-17 19:01:38

"no other way of finding the method of solving a particular type of word problem"

This can't be a good thing, because it suggest school is setting homework without teaching children properly, or if you are talking about something you set him on your own, he should be learning how to solve it in the first place.

irvineoneohone Fri 27-Oct-17 19:04:19

Tbh, 710 at SAT doesn't mean anything unless you tell us what's full marks and what's average or how many points are needed to go to good Uni, etc. I am not familiar with American SAT system!.

MissConductUS Fri 27-Oct-17 19:09:47

It's not a good thing. He's had math teachers who assigned homework ahead of covering the topic in class or went over the material so quickly that DS didn't understand it. If he had had a textbook to refer to it wouldn't have been a problem.

The SAT's are scored from 400 to 800. A score of 710 put him in the 94th percentile.

Oh2beatsea Fri 27-Oct-17 21:39:12

Thanks everyone. DD is quite good with literacy and she gets annoyed with herself if she doesn’t understand something straight away! Maths is very black and white and she will give up easily doing homework if she can’t do it straight away. The methods she uses for working something out is very different to how I was taught! This is why I wondered if there are any good websites etc out there. I think the tutor just once a week might be useful for confidence building.

Norestformrz Sat 28-Oct-17 06:05:41

I’d suggest speaking to the teacher and explaining you want to help your daughter but don’t want to show her a different method to the school. They should be able to give you the calculation policy so that whoever helps your child is following their methods otherwise a tutor risks teaching her alternatives.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: