Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reception reading - DS not interested

(7 Posts)
yummycake123 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:01:34

DS started reception in September. He’s got his reading book and we read the books he brings every evening.
There’s a set of sounds he needs to learn and “tricky words”.
The problem is he’s not really interested. He’s OK with the sounds, but when we read the books...he knows the sentences but it’s like he’s memorised the story rather than being able to recognise or sound the words...

Shall I worry or is this something that he will “get” eventually?
Not sure what to do as I don’t want reading to become a “chore” to him or something he doesn’t enjoy...but at the same time I want him to learn the sounds he’s supposed to be learning.

dangermouseisace Thu 26-Oct-17 08:08:33

I wouldn't worry OP. It's hard when they start reading as the books are so boring! Memorising the story is fine, but you could ask him to point to the word as he says it.

My eldest refused point blank to read the books, he's always reading now.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 26-Oct-17 12:08:47

Leave him be my ds was all out refusing to do much writing and drawing last year in reception and to the most part we left him be and this year he is a lot better about it.

Norestformrz Thu 26-Oct-17 12:17:13

Were only a few weeks into reception I wouldn’t worry many schools won’t be sending books home yet.

MiaowTheCat Thu 26-Oct-17 15:41:40

I'm not worried - DD2's current interest only is sustained in direct proportion to if there's Haribo on offer for doing a bit of word building work! Since I am buggered if I'm going to bribe her for every word in her reading book - interest currently is minimal as it's still not really clicking into place with her.

She could out-do any Apprentice contest when it comes to striking a hard bargain... provided they were dealing in Haribo.

LordSugarWillSeeYouNow Sun 29-Oct-17 09:41:45

Hi op, my dd is now in year 2 but was exactly the same in reception.

I had read to her from day one pretty much and I myself am a bookworm so was really upset that she just wasn't interested.

She was excelling in all areas of school, except reading. She was on the red reading level for the whole of reception.

She started year one still on red and it wasn't until November that she suddenly started to show an interest and then she flew!
Ended year one on turquoise books which were year two books and is now still doing brilliant.

Don't despair, I ended up taking a step back, downloaded the app "teach your monster to read" which she loved, and took her book shopping for books that she wanted to read as opposed to the ones she had to read. The difference is one year is staggering.

Best of luck

Increasinglymiddleaged Sun 29-Oct-17 13:40:46

I have said this before..... Reading if you aren't very good at it isn't much fun. I am generally confused when people talk about DC of 4 and 5 'loving reading', unless they are particularly super-advanced. Dd1 took to year 3 to start enjoying it. Dd2 is plodding through it in year 1 at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now