Talk

Advanced search

Old style Biff Kipper and Chip

(72 Posts)
CharisInAlexandria Mon 23-Oct-17 22:03:30

I have just been sent home the first reading book for my reception age child.

It’s old school Biff, Kipper and Chip and has sentences in it like

Chip wanted some sugar

My kid is just starting to blend cvc words.

Not sure how to deal with it really. Should I just ignore these books and dig out the phonics ones I used to teach my older children?

Or should I say something? I did try a few years ago the last time this happened with one of my older children but was brushed off.

Are there any articles that show that schools should be only using phonics based reading schemes? Or are they free to do as they wish?

littlemisscomper Mon 23-Oct-17 22:08:24

Is there sugar in the picture? Encourage your little one to use the picture to have a guess what a tricky word might be.

cupcake007 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:12:09

Is it The Pancake? I hate that book. Ask them to change it.

CharisInAlexandria Mon 23-Oct-17 22:20:27

Littlemiss he would need to guess every word in the sentence given that he doesn’t know Ch yet.

Or I could read the book to him and he could memorise it.

I don’t really think it’s the right way to teach him to read.

Valeriemalorie Mon 23-Oct-17 22:23:30

If we got books like that I would just write in the reading record that we read it together and there were lots of tricky words like "sugar".

bearstrikesback Mon 23-Oct-17 22:26:16

If a state school, then they should be using phonics and should not be encouraging the guessing of words from the illustrations.

Talk to the teacher and if you have access to a phonics scheme at home, then I would use that.

CharisInAlexandria Mon 23-Oct-17 22:31:19

Does anyone know where it says they should use phonics books in state schools?

Perhaps I could print it out and put it in the reading journal.

On the other hand if I do that the teacher probably won’t like me very much.

bearstrikesback Mon 23-Oct-17 23:20:11

Recent article

www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/09/09/headteachers-resist-teaching-phonics-failing-students-minister/

Information on phonics in schools here

www.gov.uk/government/collections/phonics

Norestformrz Tue 24-Oct-17 07:17:02

*“*^*Is there sugar in the picture? Encourage your little one to use the picture to have a guess what a tricky word might be.*^*”* Please don’t!

MiaowTheCat Tue 24-Oct-17 07:51:07

Ask the school what the purpose of the book is. We get some older pre-phonics stock sent home for us to read TO our kids (it's clearly marked as separate from the reading book stock) just as part of setting the routine for daily reading time and getting the kids used to the changing their book system before they've covered enough phonics to be sending decodable books home.

I've got minimal issues with them doing this - it was made clear to us that this was why they were sending these home so people don't get confused that their children should be reading these.

We've also got a fair whack of decodable resources that get sent home and are indicated as such before anyone explodes too badly.

MrsKCastle Tue 24-Oct-17 10:17:23

Don't encourage your child to guess! Read the book to him or just put it to one side and get the phonics books out. Talk to the teacher and express your surprise that he wasn't sent a phonics book and see what their reaction is.

SayNoToCarrots Tue 24-Oct-17 10:20:11

My son had this in reception and now year one. We told his teacher he couldn't read the words if we covered the pictures and she said "Oh no, that's what the pictures are for , to help him guess" .

I don't want him to guess, I want him to read!

CharisInAlexandria Tue 24-Oct-17 12:11:52

I will use my phonics books instead and leave a comment in the reading journal.

I think it is important.
It’s a shame though when you feel you have to do something different from the school.

They are teaching phonics just are still using these old reading books.

Feenie Tue 24-Oct-17 12:58:13

They're teaching mixed methods.

It's not only a shame, it's likely to fail 20% of their children.

At least you can make sure your dc isn't one of them, OP. sad

Milkandtwosugars Tue 24-Oct-17 13:04:22

My DD has just started reception.
Her book is about pushing and pulling.
She can’t read it, but she tries and I read the words that she can’t (which is most of them).

When she had the Lilac books (Oxford tree), they wouldn’t have any words and she would need to explain what was happening in the book.

My DS is in year 1, so I know from him that they let them pick their own books from that colour band. Does your school do that?

Norestformrz Tue 24-Oct-17 13:09:40

If they are doing that only decodable books should be available. The National Curriculum states home reading books should match the child’s current phonics ability.

Milkandtwosugars Tue 24-Oct-17 13:11:53

Also my school says that any reading is good. So to read as often as we can, wherever we can.

So DS5 reads one bedtime story, me or DH read another and we ask DD4 to help with the one we’re reading - so the easier words like “and” “Mum” “dad”.

We read the school books together when we get home from school. Which is when we do all the homework.

Doing it like that has helped DS massively, he really enjoys reading. He is now starting the year 2 work because he can do everything they’d teach in year 1. (He has the same teacher as last year, so knows what he can do).
I’m hoping it helps DD in the same way.

CharisInAlexandria Tue 24-Oct-17 13:13:25

I know, I had to do the same with my older two. I was hoping in might have changed.

They don’t teach spelling using phonics either just send home lists of unconnected words to memorise and phonics teaching seems to tail after year 1.

My oldest learnt to spell ok using the school’s method. But my middle son finished year 2 unable to spell at all. I have ended up with a tutor who works with dyslexic children coming once a week to teach him to spell using her own phonics based program. It’s working but it’s expensive and it’s not anything he couldn’t have done at school.

Does any one know how I should teach my youngest to spell to avoid the same problem?

I did songbirds, floppy phonics and traditional tales with my middle son and he learned to read just fine but not to spell.

CharisInAlexandria Tue 24-Oct-17 13:18:42

Norestformrz do you know where it is actually written down that they should use books that the child can decode?

Then maybe I could print it out as they aren’t an academy so should follow the national curriculum.

Norestformrz Tue 24-Oct-17 13:26:45

It’s in the English programme of study statutory requirements

Norestformrz Tue 24-Oct-17 13:28:16

https://www.udemy.com/help-your-child-to-read-and-write/?siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-0UIdunE7B8tqNTGmu5Ci8Q&LSNPUBID=TnL5HPStwNw

CharisInAlexandria Tue 24-Oct-17 13:31:32

Thanks I will look that up

bearstrikesback Tue 24-Oct-17 13:36:20

The jolly phonics app is also really good and has spelling games that follow the phonics phases - so starts off with satnip and progresses from there.

CoffeeBreakIn5 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:04:43

My DS has just started reception and his class are being taught phonics and are using the Biff, Kipper and Chip books. He's learning the tricky words, once he's learned 20 he'll get a book to bring home which has no words, then when he's done more he'll start the books with words. These books can be and are used for phonics. He still brings a book home every day for us to read to him. He's doing fine and can already do most of the tricky words.

Feenie Tue 24-Oct-17 21:57:19

These books can be and are used for phonics

It very much depends which strand, actually.

Floppy's Phonics - fine.
Decode and Develop - only 60% decodable, so only suitable for mixed methods.
'Core' ORT - designed for Look and Say.

He's learning the tricky words,

That's the core books. Your school is using mixed methods to teach reading and is not adhering to the statutory curriculum.

www.thereadingcentre.com/2014/08/19/should-key-words-be-taught-as-sight-words/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now