Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

My daughters moving school

(11 Posts)
SP00KYLilBucket1 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:03:03

We are moving house over the half term and my dd will start a new school. It's a completely different kind of school (no uniform, different curriculum) and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on helping her settle in. She only just started reception so hasn't been in school very long. Thank you.

Misss9217 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:08:45

SP00ky

As she is so young I can't see there being any problems. How was she getting on at her old school?

Misss9217 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:09:37

Has she is so young.

TheVanguardSix Thu 19-Oct-17 17:11:16

She's only started primary school just a few weeks ago. I wouldn't worry too much. Two of my three moved schools (one after Christmas hols last year- she was in year 2 and then my eldest moved in year 3 when we moved house years ago). Both kids moved seamlessly. I was shocked by the ease of it all. I cried and found the change much harder than the kids did! They seemed fine, particularly my daughter.

The school staff will lay the groundwork and help your DD to adjust. In my own experience, my kids were made a brief fuss of my staff and kids, the welcome wagon pulled up, buddies were introduced to them and basically, I just put my trust in the teachers and staff to help my kids integrate quickly.

The house move PLUS school move will be a little bit shaky and you will have a couple of bumps, but make things like doing up her new bedroom (even if it's shared with a sibling) exciting. Maybe you can do a little clothes shopping to buy her some nice trousers or a nice new coat for her new school.

Good luck! It won't be nearly as painful as you might fear.

SP00KYLilBucket1 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:24:19

Thank you both!. She settled in okay at her last school so hoping it will be the same here.

She's having a room all to herself for the first time in ages so I will definitely make that a big thing for her. I think she will be fine it's just me worrying. I'm going to buy some new clothes anyway so will make a little girly shopping trip out of it when we go. Ds will start at the nursery there soon so hopefully it will make her feel a bit better seeing him in the playground!.

MiaowTheCat Fri 20-Oct-17 09:49:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnxiousAngela Fri 20-Oct-17 17:19:50

I've never heard of a school with no uniform! What area is this?

SP00KYLilBucket1 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:07:32

Thank you Miaow made me feel a little better!.

And we're from around Camden anxious

AnxiousAngela Sat 21-Oct-17 08:44:28

Sounds lovely! Your DD will be fine! Please report back how she gets on smile

Finola1step Sat 21-Oct-17 08:48:22

Yep, loads of London primary schools have no uniform. I know a Secondary free school with no uniform. I'm sure your dd will settle in just fine and as all the children have recently started, they are all still new and finding their feet. Good luck.

SP00KYLilBucket1 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:12:23

Thank you all!. Will let you all know how she does!.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: