Talk

Advanced search

Stormont, potters bar

(16 Posts)
Dalesgirl16 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:38:24

Does anyone send children there? Anything you can tell me about it?

Dalesgirl16 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:49:17

Bump

chocaholic73 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:50:59

Don't have any recent information on it but my DD left there a few years ago. She loved it and it really suited her. It is mixed ability entry at 5 but they fill any vacancies at 7 from assessment which was when my DD joined. I would say go and look round.

Dalesgirl16 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:35:56

Where do girls go on to mainly? Queens Wood? Thank you

BubblesBuddy Wed 25-Oct-17 12:07:29

Yes, lots go to Queenswood. My DDs went to Q and an increasing number were from Stormont. I would have a look around and see what you think. The Mums I knew had all been pleased with it (although one was a Governor there!). Q is not the most difficult school to get into so it means there is less pressure on the girls at Stormont and that is good, in my view. However if you want transfer at 13, I am not sure what their 13 plus policy is.

Dalesgirl16 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:34:37

Thank you, I don’t know QW wasn’t hard to get into.

chocaholic73 Fri 27-Oct-17 16:49:24

At one time, Stormont used to show destinations of Year 6 leavers on their website. If they don't do this anymore, ring up and ask. In my DD's year 4 or 5 (including DD) got places at St Albans High. DD also got into Habs. The majority probably did go to Queenswood, although others went to St Francis College and Haileybury. DD and 1 other also got into Dame Alice Owens which is highly respected and selective in the state sector.

Dalesgirl16 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:18:35

I would love to know a great all girls state secondary? I don’t like what I have heard about dame Alice Owens

MissAnneElliot Thu 09-Nov-17 17:26:34

Mine went there under the excellent old head. New head now- I’ve heard mixed things about her. Stormont has apparently lost its lovely homely feel.

The new parents & children wouldn’t notice it but the parents who’ve been there under both heads definitely do. New sweep is always good but not if you lose the essence of the school.

As for Queenswood can’t rate it highly enough! New head there & she is fabulous.

FanDabbyFloozy Thu 09-Nov-17 18:38:47

I would love to know a great all girls state secondary? I don’t like what I have heard about dame Alice Owens
I am genuinely interested to hear what @DalesGirl16. DAO is very well regarded by many around these parts.

Where about are you? There are some great all girls schools but not sure where you are.

BubblesBuddy Fri 10-Nov-17 14:05:10

Any girls’ grammar school in Bucks. Several to choose from if you live close enough.

Dalesgirl16 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:21:25

I’m in Herts near Stormont so Bucks is out

Dalesgirl16 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:23:43

The bad things I heard about Dame Alice Owen is from former staff and parents and pupils - that they coach and stress the kids out to achieve academically, that they don’t care about those who are lower ability, that is an extremely stressful environment.

Dalesgirl16 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:25:50

I read a blog called muddy stilettos saying the head was really cuddly and they are all hugging each other in Stormont. The article painted s rosy picture of a very loving community. So maybe this head is gone?

anydream Thu 23-Nov-17 10:46:25

Just to reply to Dalesgirl16 and to set anyone else's mind at rest, the idea that DAO is a stressful environment is really laughable. As a current parent with multiple children at the school, of all different abilities and interests, I would say the exact opposite is true.

Dalesgirl16 Thu 23-Nov-17 11:35:18

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now