Talk

Advanced search

Homework in Year 1

(7 Posts)
TheDuchessOfKidderminster Wed 18-Oct-17 13:40:13

My DS currently reads his school book to me at least three times a week (either the physical book sent home or one online on Big Club). We also do online maths activities fairly regularly (maybe two or three times a week, depending on how often it’s updated by his teachers on the Abacus app).

On top of this I get him to do a bit of phonics practice every day (which I think is slightly ahead of what they’re working on at school - I’m not sure though as they haven’t actually sent any of this to do as homework). And I’ve also just started getting him to do little bits of writing (on a topic of his choice) in a special exercise book as often as he wants to (he’s pretty keen on this as we’ve just started so he’s done it every night!). I’m also thinking of getting some worksheets to practise letter formation, which he definitely needs to practise!

We’ve read stories to him every night since he was a baby and still do so, although obviously I wouldn’t count this as homework.

Does that sound the right sort of amount for us to be doing? Is there anything else I should think about adding in?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 18-Oct-17 15:06:54

For my six year old he reads to me and I read to him at night (as does hubby). Other than that I let him have the time to himself and tbh I’d rather he have time to unwind and process, same as last year.

He does have maths workbooks but he loves maths, as do I, and for him that is a treat.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:40:29

My ds is in year 1 and we have:
5 X 10 minutes reading book
6 spellings that have to be learned and used in sentences in prep for a test every 2 weeks
1 creative activity every 2 weeks, this one was 'all about me'.

This all comes from school though, we only do what they tell us to do. I think he has too much. In total we do about 2 hours homework a week.

Fishcalledlola Wed 18-Oct-17 18:47:12

We get so much homework. We are practicing 2, 5 and 10 times tables, 20 mins reading every day, 8 spellings to learn each week, 2 worksheets maths and English every week and about 40 flashcards have just come home. Have got a maths app too so try and do 15 minutes every other day.

squiz81 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:27:45

Wow fishcalledlola that is a lot!

We are supposed to read for 10 minutes a night, but he only gets a new school book 2 or 3 times a week. On the nights he doesnt get a new book we try and read something else. (We always read to hom at bedtime)

Online maths games to play at the weekend. These are set by the teacher and relate to what theyve learnt that week. Plus she sets them a handful of spellings to practise. Its never tested though.

I dont worry about it too much. I would rather he relax after school, hes performing above expected levels so i dont think its harming him.

He has actually been writing a story this week, but it was something he picked to do, and only because it was the novelty of using the laptop I think. smile

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Wed 18-Oct-17 20:31:00

That sounds like a lot! Dd2 brings home a reading book three times a week and then a worksheet with number games on it at the weekend. When dd1 was in Y1 she started bringing home spellings at some point during the year.

Plummer88 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:34:36

My daughter in year one is expected to read at least 5 times a week, has spellings to learn and an activity to do around them (this weeks were: people, boy, enjoy, their, oh, dream) and a piece of homowrk for over the week - last week was a maths game but we have had things like handwriting practice, sums, go for a walk and write about what you saw...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now