Talk

Advanced search

Which magazine subscription for 7-year-old?

(25 Posts)
Ginmummy1 Mon 16-Oct-17 10:43:57

My DD currently gets a couple of magazines on monthly subscription, but they’re both due to expire soon, and I’m wondering what to suggest for her aunt to get her next. (7th birthday coming up!) She’s an advanced reader for her age and very world aware, and I would say she’d happily tackle something aimed at slightly older kids.

Currently she gets AdventureBox which I think she’s slightly outgrown, and Whizz Pop Bang, which she enjoys but we can get more value out of the issues received so far so I don’t think she needs any more of these at the moment.

I wondered about one of the following:

The Week Junior – she’s very interested in what’s happening in the world, and school are very good with discussing current affairs. Is this suitable for a 7-y-o, or should we wait a bit?

National Geographic Kids – she’d love this but DH wants us to subscribe to the adult one as a family, so might be a waste

Aquila

Any comments on the above options? Are there any others to consider?

mindutopia Mon 16-Oct-17 11:27:38

We get the National Geographic Kids one (also a gift from her aunt and uncle) and I think it's really good. It's very different from the adult version and I wouldn't think it was a waste to get both, especially if one will be a gift anyway.

Cheguevarahamster Mon 16-Oct-17 11:34:27

National Geographic is a very good magazine.

My two (7&9) love The Phoenix

OutandIntoday Mon 16-Oct-17 11:36:13

We get the Week junior for dc 9& 11. The beano is a huge hit from about age 8.

xyzandabc Mon 16-Oct-17 11:36:27

Mine have had national geographic for a few years now, age 8 and 10 now and still love it.

TheAntiBoop Mon 16-Oct-17 11:38:42

My 7yo gets the week junior and the beano (she's had the latter a few years now).

We found Aquila and national geographic a bit too hit and miss and some months the subject just didn't grip them

domesticslattern Mon 16-Oct-17 11:40:06

We love First News in this household. I would say it is suitable for a 7 year old who is a good reader and interested in the world. I love how it has dedicated pages for World news, UK news and Animal news smile I can often be found thumbing through it in preference to my usual paper, looking for pictures of pandas etc

BrianBettyGrable Mon 16-Oct-17 11:41:19

We get The Week Junior, The Phoenix and The Beano (DC are 10, 9 and 6). All are devoured and the latter two kept and reread again and again. Nat Geographic Kids gets given to them occasionally but definitely not as popular as the other 3.

MrsHathaway Mon 16-Oct-17 11:42:09

My (bright, good reader) 9yo has just started getting The Week Junior and pretty much hangs at the letterbox when it's due. I am assuming DD is in Y2 if turning 7. My Y2 DC2 finds it beyond him, though not vastly. It's pitched that bit higher (they say 8-13 I think) and recommended for those preparing for 11+ and similar. I know you say she can access stuff for slightly older kids, but it's really a big step higher. The last but one edition was about the Catalonian independence ballot, for example, and our Y5 use it as a classroom resource.

Previously DC1 had Nat Geo Kids. Very suitable for Infants and younger Juniors, though he grew out of it during Y4. I don't think it would be a waste as it's very focused on children's interests and DH and I didn't find it interesting.

Don't know about Aquila.

I would definitely recommend Nat Geo Kids for now and look at The Week Junior this time next year.

MrsHathaway Mon 16-Oct-17 11:42:54

Cross posted. yy First News, which is used as a classroom resource in all of our KS2.

QuiteQuietly Mon 16-Oct-17 11:44:03

The Phoenix is great.

We found National Geographic Kids very advert heavy and low on content. Content hit and miss as well - not worth the money (or ink&paper).

OutandIntoday Mon 16-Oct-17 11:44:24

We used to get first news but switched to the week junior. I felt that first news had too much celeb/ material wealth focus in many of the stories which i didn't like.

TheAntiBoop Mon 16-Oct-17 11:45:04

Interesting about the week junior. Dd has been dipping in and out of it since we got it for her brother two years ago. DS is now in yr 6 and prefers the adult week although will still read the jubior

TheAntiBoop Mon 16-Oct-17 11:46:27

Interesting about the week junior. Dd has been dipping in and out of it since we got it for her brother two years ago. DS is now in yr 6 and prefers the adult week although will still read the jubior

SnowBallsAreHere Mon 16-Oct-17 11:48:35

I just came here to say I didn't think any child would be interested in Which? magazine.

But love the idea of the week junior and national geo junior so think I might get both for the DC for xmas. Or suggest it to DMil.

staveleymum Mon 16-Oct-17 11:52:30

Also - if into engineering/science the How it Works monthly magazine is great. We get this for my DS who is now 9 but has been getting it for about 18 months now.

I also recommend The Week Junior - both my 7 and 9 year olds enjoy it (as do I over a cuppa)!

MrsMarigold Mon 16-Oct-17 11:55:51

The Week Junior is great my six year old loves it. National Geographic Junior is dire, low on content, hideously confusing "fun" layout with too many fonts - I used to work in magazines and think it's dreadful. I've heard good things about Whizz Pop Bang!

Ginmummy1 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:58:20

SnowBalls - LOL

Lots to consider - thanks, everyone!

FairyPenguin Mon 16-Oct-17 19:21:13

We get First News for our 7yo, and The Week Junior for the 10yo. There's a big overlap in content between the two but the writing style and level of depth is quite different. If there is an article in First News that particularly piques the 7yo's interest, then we might then look for it in The Week Junior to get a more in-depth view, but otherwise it's too detailed and overwhelming to take in.

Michaelahpurple Mon 16-Oct-17 21:11:56

I also really disliked the celebrity stuff in first news and stopped for that reason. But if you are an X factor watching / pop music teen band following household you may be less po faced about it than me.

More votes for Aquila, how it works (maybe in another year) and if it is still going the puffin one.

lolalotta Tue 17-Oct-17 20:16:46

Not that impressed with Aquila TBH, we won't be renewing our subscription. The quality of the articles are good but you don't get much for your money per issue! Not many pages and only one main article, deffo wouldn't recommend. My 7.5 year old (she has a reading age of 9.5 year old) loves the week junior. It has the perfect balance of silly articles the kids find entertaining and learning things!!!! We read with an atlas to hand and look for countries as we come across them.

lolalotta Tue 17-Oct-17 20:18:29

We got national geographic on a tescos deal, really good value.

Dixiestampsagain Wed 18-Oct-17 01:02:20

We also get National Geographic Kids and find it great- even the adults have a read! Lots of pictures and puzzles and some fantastic articles.

Dixiestampsagain Wed 18-Oct-17 01:04:11

NB the content is quite 'light', as mentioned by a pp, but I think it's ideal for kids to dip into. It's just right for my 7yo.

LadyRosalieBeauchamp Wed 18-Oct-17 16:44:19

We get Whizz Pop Bang and have recently started getting the week junior. Both are good. I think that The Week is aimed at a higher age group- maybe 8-13

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: