Talk

Advanced search

Match Funding

(13 Posts)
JustMarceline Sun 15-Oct-17 18:11:06

When a company offers match funding for a PTA event, can it be for the gross amount raised at the event or must it only be the profit after expenses? Guessing as a registered charity there must be some guide of official line on it but can’t find any help when googling! X

SandyDenny Sun 15-Oct-17 18:14:21

It's up to the company offering the funding, there won't be any set rules, you'd to ask them to be sure.

BubblesBuddy Sun 15-Oct-17 18:15:10

I don't think it has anything to do with the PTA as a charity. It is income for you and a gift for them. Just declare it as income in your accounts. It's up the company how much they give. Matching the profit sounds normal but they could give you as much as they want. They could give you £200,000 and you would say thank you!

BackforGood Sun 15-Oct-17 18:36:51

Agree it is up to the company as to what they choose to match. It is a gift, phrased that way as an incentive for the fundraisers to raise that little bit extra.
Some companies will match watch is raised up to £250 or £1000 or whatever.

JustMarceline Sun 15-Oct-17 18:40:40

Thanks everyone. The company will match up to £300.

However this particular event incurred £200 costs. We took £300 cash on the day so wasn’t sure if we can match the full 300 or just the 100 profit!

Heratnumber7 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:48:43

Just the £100, surely?

You only made £100.

SandyDenny Sun 15-Oct-17 18:50:56

Did it take a lot of effort to organise? It doesn't sound like a very sucessful event if it did.

JustMarceline Sun 15-Oct-17 18:52:37

Thanks @Heratnumber7. Not the answer I wanted but the one I thought I’d get smile thanks all!

JustMarceline Sun 15-Oct-17 18:53:34

@SandyDenny no it was a last minute thing and the expenses were actually items we can reuse in the future to save costs later on! smile

BackforGood Sun 15-Oct-17 19:23:57

I'd say if you bought items for your long term fundraising aims, then you can avoid putting them against the 'event costs', so your profit then is larger.
Potentially the consumables might have to be taken off, but, in all honesty, I'd simply get the person who works for the company to make some subtle enquiries - I'm fairly sure most of the banks (as it is usually banks IME) that do this, just want to do local charity giving, and encourage employees to get involved. I'd put money on the fact they just expect to donate £300 to each applicant.

BackforGood Sun 15-Oct-17 19:26:06

By which I mean - say you bought a candy floss maker or waffle maker for £180, then don't offset that against the event, as that is a 'capital' purchase if you like, but you might have to say you took £300 but spent £30 on sugar / bags / sticks. Hence your profit is £270.

<obviously totally made up amounts>

JustMarceline Sun 15-Oct-17 19:39:47

Makes perfect sense @BackforGood. Thanks for explaining smile

Heratnumber7 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:57:59

What backfor said.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: