Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7+ and scholarships

(14 Posts)
beargryllshasabigrope Thu 12-Oct-17 17:47:03

Hi,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on the whole 7+, independent school shebang. Does the 7+ get you a ‘free place’ like the 11+ would for a grammar school? I have literally no idea about any of this shit. Please help. flowers

spanieleyes Thu 12-Oct-17 17:50:52

Err, no. Passing the 11+ generally puts you in line for a place at a state (ie no charge) school-although there may be other criteria ( distance etc) to clear first. Passing the 7+ for an independent school only means that they might consider you for a fee paying place-although there may be many more hoops to jump through before you get a place!

beargryllshasabigrope Thu 12-Oct-17 17:52:57

Thank you! As you can tell I am clueless.

Fluffysparks Thu 12-Oct-17 18:00:03

You're going to have to do a little more research than this hmm

spanieleyes Thu 12-Oct-17 18:02:34

The whole private/state/grammar rigmarole is very difficult to manoeuvre through!

MardyMatilda Thu 12-Oct-17 18:02:35

No need to be rude
And that's incorrect regarding the 11 plus putting you in line for a state place, I've never known a child taking the 11 plus to " get in line " for a state place - for what purpose?

spanieleyes Thu 12-Oct-17 18:04:20

To go to a grammar school

beargryllshasabigrope Thu 12-Oct-17 18:33:06

Fancy pointing me in any particular direction @Fluffysparks ?

cupofchai Thu 12-Oct-17 18:39:27

7+ is an exam to get into a private school to start in Year 3. These are fee-paying schools.

Grammar schools and Private schools also hold 11+ exams for entry in Year 7 private schools are fee-paying.

Aftershock15 Thu 12-Oct-17 18:49:58

You will need to check out the schools you are interested in as they will all be different and have different exams. For example the school I know you sit the 7+ and might pass and get offered a place. There are no scholarships at all, but you could apply for a bursary which might be 100%. Bursaries are strictly means tested and would normally expect both parents to be working full time. Other schools will be different.

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 18:51:43

No. It's like the 13+. It's an entrance exam/prosecure for prep schools.

AnotherNewt Thu 12-Oct-17 18:54:45

You have to check the school website.

Some scholarships are purely titular, others token value, quite a lot in the 10-25% range, occasionally higher. IME the higher cash element scholarships are for older age groups than 7+

The trend is for schools to reduce the cash value of scholarships, and instead use the funds for bursaries, which are means-tested awards and can be considerably more valuable.

But it is highly dependent on the school, both in terms of the size of the pot of many for awards and their terms and conditions.

beargryllshasabigrope Thu 12-Oct-17 19:27:39

That’s exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Michaelahpurple Thu 12-Oct-17 20:16:18

I think there are very few bursaries at 7+ - the money tends to be focused on later entry points. But worth checking out the websites of your local independents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now