Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to help speed up/improve handwriting (y4)

(3 Posts)
thisgirlrides Thu 12-Oct-17 16:53:05

Ds2 is a really, really slow writer & im wondering if there are any T&T methods for improving speed and general handwriting improvement. It's slow anyway but painful when he's doing his perfect 'school' handwriting. he's often kept behind to complete s piece of work or losing marks in timed test as he doesn't finish everything which is a shame as he's a high achiever in all other areas (not a stealth boast I have ds1 who couldn't care less about school work wink!) and is likely to do 11+ but will struggle at the speed he goes currently.

irvineoneohone Thu 12-Oct-17 17:59:49

We do "free writing" with my ds, originally recommended by MN teacher(mrz) to improve putting thoughts onto the paper.
But it did actually improved his speed of writing quite significantly.

It's simple. Give the child a topic(anything, we did things like sky, rain, autumn, favorite character, dragons, etc.) and let the child write anything that comes into the head. Don't worry about spelling, grammar, neatness, structure, anything. Just concentrate on keep writing for set time like 1/2/3 minutes, without pen/pencil leaving a paper.

Ds was a painfully slow writer and kept in to finish work regularly until last year, but not anymore. We have been doing this about 1 1/2 months now.

thisgirlrides Thu 12-Oct-17 21:41:19

Oooh thanks I like the sound of that and I think he'll enjoy it too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now