Talk

Advanced search

Y5 Reading journal not being looked at by CT

(11 Posts)
User998877 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:11:52

Up until now each CT has signed the reading journal, sometimes leaving comments. DS is an avid reader and reading these positive comments spurred him even further.

This year, CT has also set a list of challenges and when the children have read a book they need to do one of these relating to the book. DS has now read a number of books and completed a different challenge for each (all in the journal).

CT has neither acknowledged or marked any of the challenges and IMO this is lazy teaching, but is this normal as they go up the years?

JennyBlueWren Tue 10-Oct-17 19:05:36

I teach P6 which is a similar stage. I only write comments in when there's a particular need to and mostly for my poorer readers. He should be getting verbal feedback in class though although more for his responses to text rather than reading aloud.

mrsRosaPimento Tue 10-Oct-17 19:17:12

Teachers too busy teaching...

irvineoneohone Tue 10-Oct-17 19:20:56

Ds is also year 5, and they don't normally comment, just a signature every week to acknowledge it's been checked. But it's not always CT. Sometimes it's TA, sometimes it's SLT.
If you are concerned about something, just leave the comment and ask your ds to show it to the teacher? Parents comment always get swift response.

User998877 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:00:19

Thanks, no verbal feedback in school either, ds says CT never looks in his journal at all.

It's not so much the reading, ds is doing really well with this, but why bother setting them written tasks, (write a paragraph about a character/write a different character into the story etc) when they've finished a book if he's not even going to bother to mark them.

irvineoneohone Tue 10-Oct-17 20:15:56

I think in yr5, if you have done the task, you have to let teacher know that yourself. It's a lot less frustrating than getting upset about teacher not responding.
If nothing happens after your ds has spoken to the teacher, that's when you need to speak to the teacher on his behalf, imo.

User998877 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:58:45

Irvine I've spoken with ds and he said he takes his journal to CT each time he does a task from the list and CT just tells him to go get a new book, doesn't check it.

I'll mention it at parents evening after half term.

irvineoneohone Tue 10-Oct-17 21:10:36

That sound awful, I really feel sorry for your ds.
Definitely worth mentioning at parents eve. Setting up task and not checking it must be very demotivating to a child.
Hope it goes well.
At least what he is doing is for his own benefit. smile

User998877 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:36:28

That's my concern Irvine I can see it starting to demotivate ds. Poor teaching IMO, he's a new teacher to the school so I've got nothing else to go on.

When he did the last task he said "I don't know why he's (CT) asked us to do this if he's not even going to check it, what's the point".

LootTheRoom Tue 10-Oct-17 21:41:37

I would tell your son not to bother doing the tasks and just focus on reading for enjoyment. If he's an avid reader in year 5 that's great.

User998877 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:11:50

Loot I think I might just do that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now