Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Primary application question

(8 Posts)
CatsCantFlyFast Mon 09-Oct-17 19:08:26

Does anybody know off hand whether nearest school takes into account all (non independent schools)? Our nearest school is a Catholic school (we are not catholic) and if this is counted as our nearest school we will likely struggle to get into the next nearest

brilliotic Tue 10-Oct-17 11:07:02

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/3037598-catchment-priority-admissions-area-question

maybe that answers your question?

mindutopia Tue 10-Oct-17 12:25:34

I don't know if this answers your question, but you should be able to look up via your local council which school is your catchment school. Is the issue that you don't want to use a catholic school? (Personally, I wouldn't). I think though that catchment is prioritised over religion though, so it shouldn't be held against you that you aren't catholic if it's your catchment school. Our catchment school is C of E and we are Jewish. It wasn't an issue for us getting a place, but we chose that school as our first choice.

Toomanycats99 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:31:00

My daughters school is cofe as far as I am aware it is included as any other school. However it depends on their admissions criteria. Some may prioritise church attendance and fill all those places before they get to distance even though it is listed in the criteria. Others may be church in ‘name’ but prioritise on distance. So it all depends how ‘catholic’ it is as to whether you will get in.

prh47bridge Tue 10-Oct-17 12:58:32

There is no universal answer. It depends on the rules set by your LA if it is a community or VC school. If it is some other type of school it depends on the rules set by the school itself.

prh47bridge Tue 10-Oct-17 13:00:10

Just to add, this should be made clear in your council's admissions booklet. If it simply says "nearest school", however, it almost certainly means exactly that - it would take into account all non-independent schools.

peppermint79 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:43:47

each school has its own criteria and do not have to use catchment. Nearly all catholic schools are VA so are their own admissions authority own admission authorities. Check their admission arrangements on their website.

Is most likely that first priority will go to Catholic Children irrespective of where they live

Hersetta427 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:33:15

All our local catholic schools prioritise Catholics over non Catholics. In the last few years neither the primary or the secondary have offered places to non catholic families. You could live opposite but a catholic person 10 miles away would get priority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now