Talk

Advanced search

West London free primary school

(14 Posts)
TildeCucinotta Sun 08-Oct-17 11:06:28

Hello,
We will move to London Hammersmith in April 2018 with our 6 years old daughter and I am looking for academically good primary school.
Would you advise the West London free primary school?
Many thanks!
Tilde

GrabbyMcGrabby Sun 08-Oct-17 15:26:15

Look at the London borough website which Hammersmith falls under. Then look at the Ofsted reports for those schools. Check waiting lists for in year entry and take tours of those you are interested in. Try Mumsnet local for anecdotal recommendations.

TildeCucinotta Sun 08-Oct-17 15:31:08

Tanks a lot!
Tilde

ArcheryAnnie Sun 08-Oct-17 15:38:17

Be aware that the cachement areas for almost any state school in London are quite limited. I am fairly sure West London Free primaries have a sort of stepped cachement which does give some places to kids further out, but your first task will be to find out where you are eligable for, not where you want.

If you do send your child to the West London Free primary, and they ask you to make a regular payment to the school (they are notorious for this), do feel free to remind them that it is a state school and as such, any contribution by you is voluntary, and will be made on your schedule, when and only if you want to do so.

TildeCucinotta Sun 08-Oct-17 16:54:15

Thanks for your message. My understanding is that if I find an apartment sufficiently close to the school I should be able to get a place (we will move to London next year). Interesting to hear about hidden fees. Are them at least used for the school?
Tilde

PhoenixMama Mon 09-Oct-17 08:00:02

You’ll have to get a place incredibly close to the school AND hope there’s space in her year. There’s usually not as it’s over subscribed and people are on the wait list for years. I would call the school and ask what the waitlist is like for Year 2 at the moment. It’s HIGHLY unlikely that you’ll get a place in April as there will already be loads of people ahead of you on the list. Make sure you look at other schools in the area. PM me if you’d like as there are certain ones you’ll want to avoid!

ArcheryAnnie Mon 09-Oct-17 08:04:20

Phoenix what ones would you avoid?

MsGameandWatching Mon 09-Oct-17 08:04:23

Phoenixmama I have sent you a PM smile

PhoenixMama Mon 09-Oct-17 08:23:39

I’m not going to publicly list ones that aren’t good here because I don’t want to out myself. What I will say is that it is definitely worth visiting the schools & not going off Offsted alone. There is one outstanding school for an example which is anything but, and my dd is at a “good” school which I think should be outstanding. (There is a very tricky reason why it’s not.) When you move mid year you’re completely at the mercy of the council & where there’s space.

TildeCucinotta Mon 09-Oct-17 21:25:04

Thanks. I have sent a PM to PhoenixMama

JellyBellies Tue 10-Oct-17 16:34:56

The size of the waiting list should not matter. If you move close enough to a particular school you could jump to the top of the waiting list.

Feluca Tue 10-Oct-17 17:32:20

This is what I was told by the principal of the School

PhoenixMama Tue 10-Oct-17 23:36:36

Yes but their has to be a place available & no siblings/children in care waiting. The school has an incredibly low leaving rate so basically you would need to be the closest person, there not being anyone above you on the list AND a child in your desired year would have to be leaving at EXACTLY the same time mid-term that you want to start is like the stars aligning!

JellyBellies Wed 11-Oct-17 02:04:52

Yes, agree. I was just countering the person who said that there will be loads of people already on the waiting list. There might be but it's based on priority not length of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now