Advanced search

Help on primary school application

(6 Posts)
Schooladvice1 Sat 07-Oct-17 00:24:56

Hi just a brief summary, myself and partner have seperated and have shared custody between ourselfs our child is due to start primary school, we both now live in seperate towns, we have agreed that our child would be better attending school in the place we lived before we seperated, is this possible?

MrsOverTheRoad Sat 07-Oct-17 00:42:24

Only if the school isn't full or popular. You'll probably need to apply to a school for which the main resident parent is in catchment for.

Which of you is more likely to have your child 4 nights per week?

Schooladvice1 Sat 07-Oct-17 00:44:54

The child lives in our prefered catchment area mon tues wed thurs nights

Schooladvice1 Sat 07-Oct-17 00:45:45

How ever i get the tax creds for him at my address fri sat sun night

prh47bridge Sat 07-Oct-17 08:44:12

If one of you is still living there you may be able to use that as the address for applications. Given that they live there 4 night per week there is a good chance. But this is one of those areas where each LA can make its own rules. Some go with the address where Child Benefit is paid, some go for the address where the child spends most nights, some allow the parents to choose and there may well be other variations I've missed. There will be a booklet on their website which will tell you which address can be used when care is shared.

Herechickychicky Sat 07-Oct-17 08:46:49

Yep, what ph said about shared care, you need to check on the school admissions part of your LA's website as they are all different. It may well be in a booklet you have to click on a link for.

You can apply for any mainstream school from any address by the way. But obviously you stand a better chance of getting in the nearer you live to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: