Talk

Advanced search

High reading ability, poor writing and spelling

(4 Posts)
disappointed101 Fri 06-Oct-17 18:49:36

DS is year 4 and makes a lot of fuss about school. Something that perplexes me is his ability to read which is at greater depth for his age vs his written work. His writing is huge when there are no lines, letters are still poorly formed and angular rather than curved, he still doesn't join. His spelling test results are very up and down despite sound phonic knowledge. Often he gets the letters in the wrong order. He also says things incorrectly like I renember for remember and it looks likes rather than look like. To talk to, he is a bright boy and retains lots of facts and can talk about subjects of interest using advanced language correctly. There is something amiss isn't there? I just want to support him as much as possible. On a side note, he is having extra help at school with fine/gross motor skills. He is amazing with Lego and has no trouble building complex structures...another reason why I find it baffling that writing is so bad!

Laura0806 Sat 07-Oct-17 10:34:31

Have the school considered dyslexia. Is it in the family?

Ceara Sat 07-Oct-17 12:07:40

Dysgraphia?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 07-Oct-17 12:43:14

Dcd/dyspraxia?
Tbf it could be an idea to see your senco

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now