Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bristol Independent Schools?

(5 Posts)
Suz1e2 Wed 04-Oct-17 15:00:24

I'm considering moving to Bristol and are looking into private (day) schools there. I have two boys, aged 5 and 2, so ideally somewhere with a nursery attached but it's not essential. I would prefer co-ed but boys only is ok. My eldest is more of a science / maths type rather than sports or music, it's hard to tell with the youngest but I suspect he will be sporty. I am aiming for well rounded rather than highly academic.

I am going down in a few weeks to look at areas to live (also would love advice on that!) and it would be handy to book in a couple of school tours at the same time. The boys would be looking to join in September 2018.

I have heard that St Andrews could be a good place for us - bars and parks and a friendly vibe. Is that right? Which other places would you recommend? Work is from home so not really a consideration, budget is about £650,000.

Any advice, past / present Bristolians?

Thanks!

politics31 Wed 04-Oct-17 23:03:58

If you are looking for central Bristol then clifton college, Bristol grammar, clifton high and Colstons are probably your best bets. If you are looking out of town then tockington manor (to the north) and Fairfield (south) are nice. There will be others too that I don't know!

With regards to areas, your budget could get you something in most parts of the city, it just depends what you want. I suggest looking at clifton, redland, Westbury on trym, Gloucester road area and also surrounding villages. Lots of options!

Suz1e2 Thu 05-Oct-17 00:09:55

Thanks politics! I’ll have a look online and see what I can work out...

2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 08:33:18

Schools for boys is just QEH. Co Ed are Bristol grammar, Colston, Clifton college, Clifton high. You won't struggle to get a place I think it's just Bristol grammar that is academically selective although the others may say they are, if you can pay the fees you are in. Torwood house only goes to age 11 and us Co Ed and known fir being quite nurturing. The Downs school just outside Bristol is coming Ed to 13, not academically selective.
St Andrews is central and has a park and an active community. I personally don't like the Gloucester road area but most people see it as a vibrant place to live so I'm a lone voice on that.I'd prefer Westbury park and the henleaze shopping area. Again very active local community
Good luck with your move!

catslife Thu 05-Oct-17 19:21:35

Of the schools mentioned above QEH (all boys) takes children from Y3 onwards so your dcs would be too young. Bristol grammar doesn't have a nursery, but does take children from reception age onwards.
Clifton High, Clifton college and Colstons all have Infant/Junior departments and nurseries. I understand that there is some movement between schools at different ages.
The only other good independent schools in Bristol are all girls.
You should be able to afford most areas of Bristol with that price range. Also depends what type/age of house you are looking for and whether you would like off street parking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now