Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often do you expect your YR1 child to be read with?

(82 Posts)
Missstickinthemud Wed 04-Oct-17 09:52:45

Hi, I was just wondering how often someone reads with your YR1 child one on one in school? Is it once a week or less than that?

Also, if you are expected to keep a joint reading record with the school (the kind that you fill in every time you read with your child at home), how often does your child's teacher/teaching assistant put a comment in the book?

Thank you

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 09:53:17

Once a week for both questions

MiaowTheCat Wed 04-Oct-17 10:17:28

Reading diary has a space for each day, plus one bigger space for reading at school with an adult - so the general assumption is they'll get heard once a week, or twice with someone with tiny writing I think.

It's been once a week so far in reality.

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 04-Oct-17 10:19:23

Couple of times a term.

No joint reading record, and would be annoyed if it was, the home/school reading record is not for teacher records, and would hate to see them waste time recording things twice!

bigkidsdidit Wed 04-Oct-17 10:20:22

Last year my ds read to his teacher twice and a ta twice a week. This year it's daily to a ta and once a week to the teacher.

He gets a stamp every day with a different face 😀

bearstrikesback Wed 04-Oct-17 10:46:03

Three times a week with TA/ teacher and twice with parent volunteer. Only scheme book reading recorded in diary with comment by parent volunteer/ TA/ teacher as applicable.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 04-Oct-17 11:06:20

Ds reads with dinner lady twice a week. We get some interesting messages bk and forth lol. I think I come across as passive aggressive.

Alexkate2468 Wed 04-Oct-17 11:10:42

1-1 is a luxury at any point in year 1. It's usually a small guided groip session where children take turns in reading part of a book in a group of about 5/6 children of a similar level. I wouldn't expect any comments in reading diaries.

PandaCat Wed 04-Oct-17 11:14:48

My DDs book gets changed at least twice a week, but I think she only reads with a ta once a week. We get a written comment in her reading record once a week.

CB2009 Wed 04-Oct-17 11:17:17

State primary. Guided reading only. 30 in class. Most of the reading done at home to be honest. May be a comment a couple of times a term in reading record when moved up a level

brilliotic Wed 04-Oct-17 11:45:14

In Y1, DS read 1-1 maybe three times over the year, and did 'guided reading' maybe four times.

Some children were classed as 'daily readers' though, meaning the teacher intended to hear them read daily (her or TA). This didn't happen though, it was more like once a week (in good periods of time) for the 'daily readers'.

We had a reading record and were asked to record any school book reading, and any other reading. Nobody ever 'checked' the record or wrote a comment, except those times DS read 1-1 at school (when there was a comment, but no indication that the record had been 'checked').

I believe our school has a policy of letting parents, and time, take care of children's reading progress.
Especially in Y1. In fact the headteacher told us parents during an info event that Y1 was not about reading/learning to read, it was about phonics. Hence no 1-1 reading and no guided reading, but lots of phonics screening preparation and fake word decoding practice.

Ginmummy1 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:01:19

In Y1 I don’t believe DD did any ‘normal’ reading to the teacher at all. She is an advanced reader though, so I’m sure other children received more attention.

Ever since she started school I’ve asked her every day whether she has read 1:1 to anyone. She’s the sort to tell me the details! Since she started Reception it’s been fewer than 15 times in total (she’s in Y2). Every time she told me she’d read to a teacher/TA/helper, I found a corresponding note in the reading record. Otherwise the reading record has been checked once per week, annotated with ticks, stickers, or a reply to a question I might have asked.

Of course, the teachers hear them read from the whiteboard or books on desks during general class time, so I do think they are aware of where each child is at with their reading. 1:1 sessions with a book are not the only way.

I can’t imagine how teachers would find the time to read 1:1 with 30 children even once per week. Surely that doesn’t leave much time for teaching?

MaroonPencil Wed 04-Oct-17 12:06:46

I used to go in and listen to Year One read, so I know they were generally heard twice a week, by TAs or parent helpers or teacher, although often only once, while the "priority readers" were usually heard at least two and sometimes three times.

The book would be signed by whoever heard them read, with the page number they were up to, and sometimes a "nice reading, Johnny!" or something meaningless like that.

TheresSomebodyAtTheDoor Wed 04-Oct-17 12:14:27

My yr1 ds has 4 new books every Tuesday, reads to village reading volunteer twice a week and the teacher hears his guided reading group once a week.
He is encouraged to read to us 5 times a week with a reading point.

Usernamealreadyexists Wed 04-Oct-17 12:20:26

Ds reads daily to teacher or TA.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 04-Oct-17 12:27:40

Once every 2-3 weeks. Parents expected to hear child read at home, books changed 3 x a week.

MiaowTheCat Wed 04-Oct-17 12:28:00

We're really lucky obviously - DD1's had the level of the book she was reading adjusted a couple of times so far this year by one of the teachers, heard every week by either the teacher or the TA and they can basically change their books daily if they need to (they're asked to read it a couple of times but then just pop their book bag in a "books to be changed" box and get to nip out and go do that at a certain point in the school day.

Likewise even in Reception they're just getting them into sharing a book with an adult but that's done at least once a week in school and they can change their book daily if they want to.

Better than last year in their old school where I was lucky if we got a book changed once a fortnight and she'd still be on one CVC word a page if I hadn't been gently pushy about it!

FurryTurnip Wed 04-Oct-17 12:32:19

Daily reading to TA. New book daily. Always have comments written in book. Guided reading weekly with teacher and 1-1 with teacher maybe once a half term? But it's a small class of 10 so we are probably lucky compared with bigger schools.

MagicFajita Wed 04-Oct-17 12:33:51

When I worked as a class Ta I read with each child once a week , I also had a daily reader list which was about 5/6 kids that needed a little more support for whatever reason. I wrote in their journals whenever I heard them. The were also free to come to me and ask for a book change/do it themselves if able to.

The teacher read with kids when she had time , but did take guided reading groups weekly so in theory she did get to access each child.

GreenTulips Wed 04-Oct-17 12:36:35

Each read amounts to 10 mins with an adult - you'd be lucky to get 1:1 reading unless your child is having difficulties.

They should however read every day with an adult at home

This is why schools need volunteers

MagicFajita Wed 04-Oct-17 12:43:07

Oh and by the way , I had a total of 35 minutes per day to get through my daily readers and get through the other 25 kids through the week. Obviously if there was a first aid/emergency situation or earlier than usual assembly I'd lose a lot of that time!

PandasRock Wed 04-Oct-17 12:43:47

Ds reads every day, either as part of guided reading group (consists of 3-5 children) or to teacher/TA. Get comment in reading record 3 times a week - proper comment, e.g. 'Jonny is beginning to use more expression when reading and can accurately name and explain a variety of punctuation marks. Worked on recognising rhyming words' and then pages read and what to read next. Relevant comments on his reading at home are expected, and always initialled/commented on so I know they are read.

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 12:45:46

I would not worry. My dd couldnt read on starting school and managed to get to gold, think was level 9, level by end reception with reading at home and only once a week to teacher. They could change books whoever they wanted.

Missstickinthemud Wed 04-Oct-17 13:19:25

Thank you very much for the replies everybody. I feel more at ease now.

Seems like there is a lot of variation across different schools.

Thanks again.

JennyBlueWren Wed 04-Oct-17 17:29:02

I'm really surprised to hear it's once a week in Y1 in some schools.

I teach P6 (9-10 yr olds) and I (or a PSA) hear my lower 2 (small) groups read 2 to 3 times a week (I am for 3 but in reality it is sometimes 2). The rest of the class I meet with in small discussion groups once a week. I sometimes ask them to read particular sections but it is more discussion based.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now