Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

How many school jumpers for one child?

(90 Posts)
RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:08:01

Dd (4) is coming home from reception each day looking like she's been painting herself with her school dinners!

I'm eaither scrubbing it off early morning or if I'm being more organised doing a twenty minute wash the night before. I'm happy (ish their £10!) to buy another one but in the welcome pack they suggested 2 skirts, 3 tops etc and just one jumper which suggests this isn't an issue for most family's. How many do you own?

I really don't want to send her in looking grubby.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 04-Oct-17 08:12:27

One being worn
One in wash
One in wardrobe

kuniloofdooksa Wed 04-Oct-17 08:13:51

Does your school require the jumper to be logoed or is a plain jumper of the right shade acceptable?

If they require you to buy expensive logoed jumpers then I expect the uniform list is misleadingly optimistic in order to avoid being accused of having a uniform list that is ££££ to buy.

Our school is happy for them to wear any jumper of the right shade. We have one logo one for school photograph days, concerts and other special occasions and buy multiple cheap unlogoed ones from Asda. I usually start each term with 5 but am down to 2 by the end of term. They do have to be laundered every day there is no way a young child can keep a jumper clean throughout a single school day.

HashiAsLarry Wed 04-Oct-17 08:16:32

As giles says - 3.
Due to school not purchasing enough branded stuff for parents to buy, we've only had 2 for ds until recently. 2 definitely wasn't enough.

RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:16:59

3! Your children must be spotless grin

They're logoed . You the school office has run out but I can buy online where you just type the school name in.

RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:17:22

Have to be logoed

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 04-Oct-17 08:17:39

Spotless?

Mine doesn't even make it to the car clean grin

nightshade Wed 04-Oct-17 08:18:30

Two...one for wash one for wear..

RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:18:41

Yep teethbrushing then get dressed <I never learn> grin

RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:19:16

So is everyone washing a jumper daily?

SeraphinaDombegh Wed 04-Oct-17 08:19:16

See I started DS in reception with 3. Found it still difficult to keep on top of laundry due to lack of tumble dryer, so this year he's got 5 and that's comfortable. They're logoed but Tesco ones, not expensive local supplier.

HashiAsLarry Wed 04-Oct-17 08:19:17

Definitely nowhere near spotless!
Passable at best grin

thismeansnothing Wed 04-Oct-17 08:21:47

In reception we had two but three would have been ideal. It wasn't necessarily DD but other kids that are obviously wandering round with pens or paint brushes in their hands and catching her as they wander past. She'd regularly have random marks all the way up the pack of her tops.

Year 1 and touch wood a cardi and a jumper has been just fine (forgets the first day of term when she lost her cardi but was luckily located the next day)

Flumplet Wed 04-Oct-17 08:21:56

If you can afford it about 750 ought to do it. Mine ‘misplaces’ his jumper almost daily then whines when he has to go in on a cold morning like this morning with no jumper under his coat. So about 750 jumpers ought to be enough to keep you going.

dementedpixie Wed 04-Oct-17 08:24:00

Mine don't really wear the jumper unless it's snowing! Think ds might have 1 and dd had 2 cardigans

RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:26:06

I'll buy another one. It was a bit optimistic for the school list to say one (without putting a hundred after).

I think the cardigans look a bit chilly. The jumpers are all fleecy and warm.

toptomatoes Wed 04-Oct-17 08:26:08

3 for my youngest 2 DC. DS1 doesn't wear his so only 1 for him (school photo, trips etc.).

Kerberos Wed 04-Oct-17 08:28:04

5 ish. But this is DC3 with hand me downs and 2nd hand I've picked up from school. Annoyingly he rarely wears a jumper.

BarbarianMum Wed 04-Oct-17 08:34:49

Mine always had 4 at that age. They needed a clean one each day. That's one to wear, one being washed, one drying and ine to be left at school. smile

I don't know anyone who managed with one.

Worriedobsessive Wed 04-Oct-17 08:36:05

750 is excessive for one child. 600 will be enough. One for each day of the week and then one for every bloody crevice of the car, classroom and sports hall. Yes 600 is optimal.

Allyg1185 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:54:43

One for every school day of the year. That way you don't need to bother looking for it on a daily basis wink

Seriously we have three. One on, one in the wash and one clean

RedBlackberries Wed 04-Oct-17 08:58:10

Right I'll get ordering!

GreyCloudsToday Wed 04-Oct-17 08:58:59

We have 5 but 4 would probs be enough. We both work f/t and would rather buy more and have less pressure to wash.

Frazzled2207 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:00:18

We have to have logoed ones and I originally got 2 but have since got a third.
Didn’t want to be under pressure to wash one every day!!
Feels about right to me but my son has now cottoned on to the fact that the school is quite warm so takes it off first thing-
It’s coming home spotless most days now.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 04-Oct-17 09:01:10

Mine has 5 blush but he needs a fresh one daily as he's a total mess by the end of the day. Wears plain supermarket ones though. I will be getting one official school jumper for his school photo, it will not go on him till that morning!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: