Talk

Advanced search

School Milk for over 5s

(27 Posts)
Mepop Fri 22-Sep-17 21:13:08

What are your views on school milk for over 5s? Should there be an option for parents to buy it for their child in Reception?

My youngest just started Reception and she's one of the oldest with a September birthday. Her school give free milk to 4 year olds but none to 5 year olds. There is not even the option for parents to buy milk. She was upset on her first full day this week that everyone apart from her was given milk. Her teacher just told her 5 year olds don't need milk. I spoke to her teacher who told me they stopped allowing parents to buy milk during the last school year due to admin reasons and I have also told the school felt too much milk was going to waste.

I feel that there should be exceptions for the first few kids who turn 5 in the year so they are not made to feel left out just because they have early birthdays.

Does this happen at other schools? When my oldest attended Reception we could buy him milk although he had a January birthday so it wasn't such an issue.

rebelnotaslave Fri 22-Sep-17 21:14:10

We can buy milk for any year group. My dc are in year 1 and year 3 and they have it. £15 for the whole year.

PanannyPanoo Fri 22-Sep-17 21:16:04

I used to take in 2 pints every Monday so my daughter could have some. now they have a system through the county that anyone can buy it.

BrawneLamia Fri 22-Sep-17 21:16:15

Ours don't have milk, just fruit. Dd is 4.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Fri 22-Sep-17 21:28:26

We are given option to buy in all year groups.

Mepop Fri 22-Sep-17 21:47:32

This would be fine with me if it was all kids in her class. I just feel bad for her being the only child in her class not allowed any milk. I don't feel she needs it for health benefits etc. Just don't want her upset because she's left out.

irvineoneohone Fri 22-Sep-17 21:55:03

Can you send milk with her to school?
My ds is allergic to dairy, so he was allowed to take in his own milk everyday.

didireallysaythat Fri 22-Sep-17 22:03:26

I didn't realise school milk was still offered ! Or maybe it's on a county basis (not in Suffolk or Cambs)

BackforGood Fri 22-Sep-17 22:07:11

Does seem a daft policy. Either everyone in Reception should be given the chance to have milk, or no-one.

Sogrowjo Fri 22-Sep-17 22:11:40

That's not right - you should definitely be able to pay for her to have it.

Mepop Fri 22-Sep-17 23:17:44

Just to add, I have asked her teacher if I can send her to school with milk so she doesn’t feel left out (they give her water instead) and was told to wait a week or so to see how she is coping then. At least one other child will be 5 by then so there will be 2 not allowed milk. They also told me there were a few kids who opted for water today so it wasn’t as bad as yesterday where she was the only one without.

thisagain Sat 23-Sep-17 07:29:16

My son in year 2 and I started buying it when he turned 5. I thought all schools gave the option to be honest. It does seem wrong not to, for the reception year. I would more insistent on sending milk in for her.

Kraggle Sat 23-Sep-17 07:32:27

Our school gives free milk until they turn 5 then we have the option to pay for it. It's rubbish that your school has stopped that.

whoareyou123 Sat 23-Sep-17 07:55:27

didireallysaythat it was still offered at DS's school in Suffolk when he was in reception/yr1 (he's now yr3) through coolmilk. He quickly decided he didn't want it so I've no idea if it's still offered.

Norestformrz Sat 23-Sep-17 08:13:31

All children in receipt of free school meals or eligible for pupil premium receive milk until the end of primary.

irvineoneohone Sat 23-Sep-17 08:44:33

Does that mean all the children in rec/ks1 are meant to receive free milk, not until 5?

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 08:46:48

We can buy it. It's quite cheap. You pay termly.

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 08:48:16

There's usually a child off sick so normally there will be a spare milk anyway. If some want water instead there will be spare milk

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 08:49:10

No the free milk till end primary for free school meals means the pupil premiums ones not every child in ks1

clarrylove Sat 23-Sep-17 08:50:43

Our school offer it after 5 if you pay. My eldest had it all the way theough and I will do the same for my youngest who is in y4. I think the take up is about 50%.

clarrylove Sat 23-Sep-17 08:53:54

The website is Cool Milk and you register yourslef on there. See if your child's school is on the list.

didireallysaythat Sat 23-Sep-17 13:25:38

Interesting... There's never been any mention of milk. KS1 get a carrot or a pear at breaktime though so I guess that's where the money goes.

Norestformrz Sat 23-Sep-17 13:33:47

Milk is in addition to fruit and veg not a substitute

didireallysaythat Sat 23-Sep-17 18:11:08

The school has never mentioned milk - doesn't bother my DS2 but I wonder if there are other children who would like it. The school isn't loaded though so if there's any cost for them I don't want to rock the boat.

Mepop Sat 23-Sep-17 18:48:29

For those whose schools don't provide milk this is a government scheme to give milk to children under 5. The kids get it at break time. All other times they get water to drink. The cost to the school would be administrative costs (apply to be part of the scheme and ordering it etc) the milk itself is free. Maybe some schools don't take part because of the administrative costs or maybe because they don't want children over 4 to feel left out. Even if they offer parents the chance to buy milk some might not be able to afford it (although the government does subsidise the costs I think).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: