Talk

Advanced search

Newbie - little ones who have started Reception

(19 Posts)
Samot Wed 20-Sep-17 23:13:55

Hi all

My first born DD started reception last Weds smile we are going through all of this for the first time

Everything is going well so far (fingers crossed) she has been acting really proud. It's hard to find out what has actually happened during the day as I'm sure is the same for many of you! So far she has apparently had sweetcorn and chicken everyday haha I'd love to be a fly on the wall and see what they do.

How have your little ones settled in? Anyone else sharing the experience for the first time? or any tips from experienced school mums welcome.

I'm going to the PTA meet up tomorrow eve for a nosey to see what they do.

It's such a big change from nursery two days to five days a week. We are all adjusting to it, hoping the half hour one way walk - will help me shed some pounds too...I'm flushed and out of breath when I arrive at the moment I met I look bonkers ....

Hows everyone getting on with new mums?, etc

Looking forward to sharing stories

Sam

Samot Wed 20-Sep-17 23:15:19

*bet I look bonkers

TheVeryHungryDieter Wed 20-Sep-17 23:19:56

Ha, you've reminded me about my son's first lunch experiences this week. I said "ooh yum, I love baked potatoes" on Monday when DS announced he'd had baked potato and baked beans for lunch. Three days on it's "and I had your FAVOURITE for lunch again today Mummy!" Potato and beans three days running!

He was super excited last week about having lunch at school this week because he heard from the big kids that you got pudding after every meal. grin

Samot Thu 21-Sep-17 06:32:24

Heehee they are funny aren't they....I'll get snippets of information about what's been happening when she randomly mentions things but never when I ask

Yesterday she said she had a new best friend because she had shoes with flowers on and hair clips smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 21-Sep-17 10:03:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blink1982 Thu 21-Sep-17 11:42:20

Ds is very vague about school too he started about 3 weeks ago. He'll sometimes mention things but not if I ask. It's very weird 😁 I've come across a list of alternative ways to ask what's gone on, so I'll see if that gets any info out of him.

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5738338

Samot Thu 21-Sep-17 11:47:19

ahaa spies...my littlest is 2.5 years younger..so they'll probably never see each other until later on so it all remains a bit of a mystery...do they usually have a snack before lunch? I haven't had chance to ask the teachers really they always mega busy at drop off and pick up.

Next week there's a meeting for new reception parents so all may be revealed then

Glad peeps are settling in well

Samot Thu 21-Sep-17 11:48:29

brilliant Blink I'll have a look at that haha

BrawneLamia Thu 21-Sep-17 13:53:20

my DD started last week, like you I am having trouble getting any information out of her. It was the same at nursery but at least there the staff would tell you how they got on. If I ask her she will ignore me or say she doesn't know, but occasionally she drops a little snippet into conversation. For example, yesterday she told me that she has a boyfriend grin.

MiaowTheCat Thu 21-Sep-17 18:53:27

MiaowTheCat Thu 21-Sep-17 18:54:53

Samot Thu 21-Sep-17 21:15:05

Miaow it sounds like your eldest is the perfect big sis - showing her the ropes :D that will give her extra cred knowing all the cool places to play.

I remember when my little bro and I were finally in school together and I avoided him at all costs....he used to do a running jump at me and embarrass me on purpose in front of all his mates. I was really shy as well and a bit of a nerd CRINGE

Samot Thu 21-Sep-17 21:17:24

hehe Brawne - Mine told me she was going to marry a little boy at her nursery - then a few weeks later confessed it was all a joke really (phew I mean we really believed her you know )

myjobisherdingcats Thu 21-Sep-17 21:20:32

My ds just started reception, he rolls his eyes and says "mummy we just play!" In a world weary way when I try to ask him what he's done.
His "best friend" is a white haired boy. He loves him and wants to invite him to his birthday party.... It has, however, never occurred to him to ask his new best friend's name. Writing the invitation could be tricky!!

jamdonut Sat 23-Sep-17 09:48:39

TheVeryHungryDieter

Jacket potatoes and Beans are what are given ( out of desperation - a small supply of them is hidden away every day) to children who won't choose anything else from the available menu, at our school! Most kids seem to like that and eat it, if they won't eat anything else on offer.
Is your child a fussy eater? Does he understand about choosing what to eat?
Maybe he would be better off with a packed lunch?

Roomba Sat 23-Sep-17 11:14:03

Blink1982, I used to use those tactics with DS1 to try to find out what he'd done that day grin. Asking, 'So what was the funniest thing that happened today?', 'What do you think was the most boring thing today?', 'What new thing did you learn today?' got a lot more out of him than, 'What did you do at school'! The response to the latter was generally 'Nothing', or 'I can't remember'.

DS2 was a bit different though, he talks so much I got every detail of what every person in the class did that day grin

Roomba Sat 23-Sep-17 11:18:57

Just remembered I had to have a word with DS1's teacher in the end as DS was having a cheese sandwich every single day for lunch. I would go through the menu in advance with him, he'd decide what he fancied, then he'd got into school and freeze up when asked what he wanted and say 'Cheese Sandwich'. Every day, for months!

After I had a word, his teacher would say 'Come on, don't you fancy xx?' and gently steer him towards a warm meal instead. But then DS1 will eat anything, so it's not as if she was forcing him into eating something he didn't like. He just couldn't cope with having to make a public choice at that age.

Samot Sun 24-Sep-17 20:31:59

I've heard that the teachers sit with the children at lunch so will ask at the new parents meet up next week....maybe she is eating chicken and sweetcorn everyday?? She comes home really hungry too. I bet they keep an extra eye on reception though to make sure they are eating their dinners

BrawneLamia Sun 24-Sep-17 21:38:07

Well dd proudly told me that she ate seven peas on Friday. So I imagine there is someone watching over them and bargaining over how many vegetables they need to eat grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: