Talk

Advanced search

What IS "guided reading"?

(15 Posts)
B1rdonawire Tue 19-Sep-17 13:35:43

Been to a class info meeting and now know when DD has guided reading...no idea what it is! Take pity on me and explain please..?

MrsHathaway Tue 19-Sep-17 13:38:08

I have a child in Y5 and a child in Y2 and I still have no bloody idea...

blush

B1rdonawire Tue 19-Sep-17 13:40:10

grin I feel a bit better now!

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 19-Sep-17 13:42:14

Yeah ds just said he reads a book in a group.
I know no moregrin

irvineoneohone Tue 19-Sep-17 13:42:37

Group reading, children divided into similar ability groups, led by teacher/TA.

MrsHathaway Tue 19-Sep-17 13:43:09

So what's it for then irvine?

blackteaplease Tue 19-Sep-17 13:44:40

They discuss the book with the teacher and take turns to read aloud at our primary. It allows the teacher to check reading and vocabulary

sashh Tue 19-Sep-17 13:47:38

Group of children sitting with a TA or teacher or PGCE student, all have the same book, one reads out loud and the others follow the page, then the next child does some reading.

It's basically to monitor their reading skills, let them practice reading and following a book someone else is reading out of.

Copperspot Tue 19-Sep-17 13:48:49

Y4 TA here smile

Basically we split into smaller groups, i take the 6 kids that are on the lowest level / have SEN.

We look at the front cover, discuss what it shows eg is it fiction / non fiction, what do we think the book is about from the title / picture. What is a blurb? What are the key words? Discuss any words they don't understand.

each child gets a chance to read out loud to the group, whether that be a line / paragraph / page depending on ability. We discuss what we hear, any words we don't understand, relate it to real life situations, etc.

As i said i have low ability children in my group so it is basic. It encourages them to read aloud, follow along on the page, learn how to 'read' a book cover so they can choose their own in the library easier, etc

AppleTrayBake Tue 19-Sep-17 13:49:56

It's just a way of teaching reading.

So your objective might be 'to read with expression/fluency/looking for information within the text' etc and you work on these skills with a small group.

SnowiestMountain Tue 19-Sep-17 13:52:27

Ah it sounds quite nice! I always wondered too!

MrsHathaway Tue 19-Sep-17 13:54:48

Thank you!

And thanks OP for asking the question grin

AppleTrayBake Tue 19-Sep-17 13:57:49

I never have mine reading one at a time to the group though. Otherwise you get one child reading and 5 picking their noses 'following' wink

Mine all reading to themselves (while bearing in mind a particular target) and I move round and listen to them, much more actual reading gets done that way.

B1rdonawire Tue 19-Sep-17 14:35:23

I think I've got it now - thank you! It sounds nice, if potentially challenging to keep everyone quiet between turns grin

JennyBlueWren Tue 19-Sep-17 19:24:43

I think everyone has answered already but good point about the keeping it quiet! Especially when you have a child who quietly whispers her turn. It's a matter of careful planning for what the rest are doing (something silent and which they don't need help for -no interruptions during Guided Reading!)

I'm teaching P6 now and depending on the group they still have Guided Reading 1 to 3 times a week. My top groups (3/4 of the class) don't practise reading aloud but instead have a teacher led discussion about what they have read which allows me to check their understanding beyond or despite what they write down in their comprehension work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: