Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday Request - Reception

(64 Posts)
curiousmum32 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:20:23

We want to take our 4 year old dd who has just started her reception to meet her ailing great grandmother and family in another country and have applied for a 4 week holiday. We couldnt go during the summer break because of my husbands surgery.
Can the school fine us or take any other action, she is not yet 5 so we thought this will be the last time we can take for such a long time out during term time.
Please share your experiences, I am really worried.
Thank you mumssmile

Sirzy Tue 19-Sep-17 12:23:59

Can you link it in to a school holiday somehow at least?

It won't be authorised so in theory (and I am sure someone who knows more will be along soon) the school could remove her place if she is off unauthorised for so long.

Either way a month is an awful lot of school to miss!

Applesandpears56 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:25:30

That's way too much school to miss. As a young in year child she'll already be playing catch up with the older children - I wouldn't take her for longer than a week out of school.

AutoFillUsername Tue 19-Sep-17 12:28:27

As she is under 5 they can't fine as she isn't legally required to attend school.

It's irresponsible through. She will become unsettled and fall behind and the school will have to invest time to catch her up.

The school will hate it as it affects their attendance stats and if those stats fall below a certain level (96%?) they can't get a good Ofsted.

Put it this way, if all parents expected to be able to do this then the school would fail.

2014newme Tue 19-Sep-17 12:31:05

Go at Christmas or half term.
Is there a risk she could be deregistered at all?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 19-Sep-17 12:44:57

Nope, they can't fine

curiousmum32 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:47:39

Thank you for your replies, I agree 4 weeks is way too much but where we are going is a 10 hour flight and costs lot cant go for a week and come back. Going during the holiday time is going to be v v expensive.
I am sure she will not lag behind as I teach her at home too and shes doing pretty well.
My only concern is that they don't dergister her.
I did spoke to the class teacher and she said there shouldnt be a problem , also the council said its ok and the reason is very much a valid one.

existentialmoment Tue 19-Sep-17 12:50:19

She's FOUR. She's not going to fall behind in anything at all.

Threenme Tue 19-Sep-17 12:51:32

You're fine she's not 5, technically doesn't even have to start yet! Some kids may not even start until Jan.

irvineoneohone Tue 19-Sep-17 12:53:06

My ds had to take more than a month off during reception. (Due to having a surgery). I don't think he fell behind.

curiousmum32 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:53:42

Thanks Existentialmoment and threenme.
Its an educational trip too as she will learn about a different country, and will also it will help us to inculcate culture values in her.

Threenme Tue 19-Sep-17 13:09:20

All I would offer as a bit of advice is try and teach her some phonics, teacher will be happy to provide you with work sheets etc! You only really need these and flash cards so not taking loads of stuff and basic number recognition! I think a month learning different cultures and seeing different things is a good thing personally

2014newme Tue 19-Sep-17 14:56:00

Get it in writing that you won't be deregistered if you take 4 weeks unauthorised absence.

Hersetta427 Tue 19-Sep-17 16:37:49

Why can't you go for 2 weeks if you have to go in term time (which you don't). A 10 hr flight is easily manageable in a 2 week holiday - you don't need to go for 4.

Wolfiefan Tue 19-Sep-17 16:43:34

That's a heck of a long time. I get it is expensive and a long way away. But 4 weeks is a huge part of the school year.
Yes you can teach at home but friendships may move on in her absence. This a hugely unsettling thing to do.

2014newme Tue 19-Sep-17 16:45:50

It costs less for 2 weeks than 4

Peppapogstillonaloop Tue 19-Sep-17 16:50:04

At 4 I wouldnt worry too much..My kids friendships changed daily at that age and then massively again when they moved them around in year one. And as for falling behind the whole point of reception is meant to be play based, if you are even doing a little bit at home she won't fall behind. I'd be prepared for her to be pretty unsettled for a while going back though. I would think it would be best if you could at least tack onto half term or leading up to a holiday but if not then it is what it is.. would def get in writing that she won't be deregistered though. Is your school over subscribed?

existentialmoment Tue 19-Sep-17 16:51:10

2 weeks, 4 weeks, makes no difference to a four year old, who won't miss a damn thing.
She's FOUR. In other more civilised countries she wouldn't even have started school yet.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 19-Sep-17 16:52:06

No, you can't be fined at 4 years old. However, school will be unable to authorise DD's absence.

Your main issues are;

a) she could technically be deregistered with such a long absence and:

b) no matter what you think to the contrary, she certainly will miss out on some learning. That doesn't mean she can't catch up - but it's fool hardy to think she'll just slot straight back in with classes, topics etc. after a month off.

Branleuse Tue 19-Sep-17 16:53:15

Outrageous. It will take months for her to catch up on colouring in, lego and making sandcastles

PotteringAlong Tue 19-Sep-17 16:53:48

Its an educational trip too as she will learn about a different country

grin this is what every parent says when trying to justify taking their children out of school.

Wolfiefan Tue 19-Sep-17 16:55:08

Pottering. They all do.
TBH I wouldn't be worried about missing
"Work" so much as being unsettled in the routine. Friends moving on. Forgetting routines. Etc etc.

ALittleMop Tue 19-Sep-17 17:01:04

Children are adaptable. Many kids start reception at various points in the year.
Schools, however, not so much
If the school is oversubscribed, or the LA area is struggling to find places for all the children in the borough, or if the headteacher felt it was appropriate, there is a real risk that she would be deregistered and lose her place.
If undersubscribed HT might be more sympathetic dependent on circumstances but tbh its unlikely given the pressures they are under to achieve 98% attendance across the school.
If you go you will have to take your chances and risk having to find a new school place or having no school place on return.
Can you do 2 weeks and one parent return with DD half way through?

SisterhoodisPowerful Tue 19-Sep-17 17:07:03

She's 4. GSCE year would be grossly inappropriate. 4 weeks for a 4 year old to see a great grandmother they may never see again? Completely fine.

Bananamama1213 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:19:24

My DD just started reception, they said that it's not ideal for them to miss school. But they don't take attendance into account too much in reception.

My DD technically doesn't need to be at school until next September so we could go away without getting fined this year if we wanted to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now