Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your most random school dress-up request ever?

(37 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Mon 18-Sep-17 19:23:13

Inspired by a thread.

We had "come as a minion"
Also "come as your favourite animal" (translation: come as whichever you've got in the dressing up box and claim its your favourite)
And a Disney one I successfully sabotaged by just mentioning that they owned Star Wars now - meaning every lad above about year 2 came as a jedi with lightsaber!

gigglingHyena Tue 19-Sep-17 08:27:57

We had wear something green. Not in itself odd, but for red nose day confused.

Apparently it also had to fit "green week"

NataliaOsipova Tue 19-Sep-17 08:28:56

Come as a fruit or vegetable. Yes, really.....

solittletime Tue 19-Sep-17 08:33:09

Twins day. Everyone had to pair up with someone and wear identical outfits... Just as a student council fundraiser.

Anotheroneishere Tue 19-Sep-17 09:01:22

Not just any animal, not your favorite animal, we've had Dress as a Stray Animal Day.

SocksRock Tue 19-Sep-17 09:07:19

Come as a character from an LS Lowry painting. That was all "whaaaaat" from the parents!

JennyBlueWren Tue 19-Sep-17 19:33:34

Sadly my current school does not approve of non-uniform/dress up days (although teachers are expected to wear Christmas jumpers on a particular day and were partially encouraged/allowed to dress up for world book day).

From previous schools I can't think of anything as odd as the ones above but I did once tell my job share that all the teachers were going to wear PJs for a non-uniform day. She went out and bought new PJs especially. On the actual day we were the only ones! I had the P1s that day and had a lovely day (with dressing gown, slippers and penguin hot water bottle). I had them all read me bed time stories!

We used to have some children who wouldn't have outfits (due to forgetting/parents not knowing/affording/caring) so would prepare spare parts for children to dress up as characters, spots they could stick on their jumpers or my best which was Christmasifying their school jumpers (the commercially-dressed children were a bit jealous!).

Paperclipmover Tue 19-Sep-17 21:56:43

Come as a number...

SavoyCabbage Tue 19-Sep-17 22:01:55

Dress up as something that starts with the first letter of your name. I had to produce a skunk outfit.

I've also suffered the horrors of 'olden days'.

ILoveDolly Tue 19-Sep-17 22:03:19

We've got 'come as the colours of the French flag' soon

3DGlasses Tue 19-Sep-17 22:05:25

Ancient Greek day next week.

School suggested wrapping your kid in a white sheet. Or buying an 'authentic' Ancient Greek outfit for £20 (twenty QUID) from a particular website.

Oh do fuck off (on both counts).

Paperclipmover Tue 19-Sep-17 22:16:52

Weren't the Greeks nude quite a lot?

MiaowTheCat Wed 20-Sep-17 08:11:35

I did love Y6 tootling down the street dressed as Vikings. The plastic axes quite frankly fitted the behaviour of some of them.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 20-Sep-17 08:26:55

Sadly my current school does not approve of non-uniform/dress up days

That surely sounds like a USP to many a MNer after too many years of having to come up with costumesgrin

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 08:45:56

I have to admit I really loved making dress-up costumes. I'm a terrible seamstress but a really, really good bodger, so I am That Parent who sends her DS in with a hand-crafted elaborate outfit that I'd made in front of the telly during the week out of random shit I'd got around the house. And I totally know it comes off as way too try-hard and a bit sad, but I really liked making them!

I kind of miss it now he's in secondary school...

2014newme Wed 20-Sep-17 10:26:27

None. We just do book day. Im very happy with that. I also never had to provide a nativity costume school provide them all.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 20-Sep-17 12:15:46

Annie - I've still got some of our 'bodged' hats and masks. Some of which were for secondary, they still had a few comic relief or whatever dress up days in KS3 at DD's school. Which was a bit much, especially for many on public transport....grin

Lancelottie Wed 20-Sep-17 12:19:10

We still have a chicken hat that DS wore in reception, in combination with a yellow duster pinned fore and aft for extra fluff.

ParadiseCity Wed 20-Sep-17 12:19:11

Australian person and Jamaican person probably the trickiest. Seeing as how they could wear anything just the same as a British person.

MerryMarigold Wed 20-Sep-17 12:19:49

We've had dress up as a character from a poem (a surprising number of Cinderellas still turned up).

WineBeforeCake Wed 20-Sep-17 12:23:57

“Come as your favourite number”

I sent DD wrapped up in silver lamé with chopsticks in her hair and an overly alpha mummy inspired handwritten menu using numbers assigned to meals.

paxillin Wed 20-Sep-17 12:23:58

A bug, a colour, French, Superhero (NOT shop-bought, please), a robin.

WineBeforeCake Wed 20-Sep-17 12:24:46

Aaaaghhhh. I forgot the full sentence “Come as your favourite number or mathematical concept”.

CryingShame Wed 20-Sep-17 12:30:21

We've had "dress up as a person you'd find in a castle" - lots of shawls got worn with mop caps and parents of DDs complained that they got the raw end of the deal.

Come in dressed as a super hero. Note sent on a Tuesday, dress up on the Friday. Did not go down well with parents.

Come as a character from history as well - we got a surprising number of evacuees plus the odd king / queen.

Backingvocals Wed 20-Sep-17 22:39:37

On International Day DD had to come as Burkina Faso confusedgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now